Anyone have a GPS tracker in your car?

e*****7, Apr 18, 11:20pm
Just wondering if it is worthwhile to put one in? What type? there is a huge range for sale on here.

gmphil, Apr 19, 12:08am
yes ive have one . because I sore another trader from here locate his car with in minutes of finding it missing, defiantly worth money .not clue up on types sorry someone be along soon im guessin help u out with that .

e*****7, Apr 19, 12:27am
How much does it cost to run? all texts aren't they?

gmphil, Apr 19, 12:33am
yup all txts , so that depend on your usage !

nesta129, Apr 19, 7:53am
I got one installed in one of my cars,however the sim didn't work so didn't get to try it out.However mine was a group buy on a NZ car forum,the units were from the UK and others who have it installed love it.Yup all texts,even the car could be shut down via text.

thewomble1, Apr 19, 11:44am
I have one that you could track your car after sending it a code. It replied with latitude and longitude, speed and direction. Only cost money if you sent the code. A prepaid $20 card will last nearly a year.
Also can be set up to 'report ever hour/day etc. costs increase quite a bit.
Also can be set up to turn off the fuel.
Can be set up if car goes outside set boundaries,
Just to list a few.
Similar to this one TM Listing #: 874450644

motorboy2011, Apr 19, 10:23pm
I'm the one who got their car back. The unit cost $80, it was a tk103b. I used the fuel cut function to activate the horn rather than cut the fuel (You can actually wire it to do both at the same time). The reason for the horn is so I'd be able to locate it in a line of locked garages etc, as you can't just go up and demand the owners open their garage, and nor can the police. $20 will last a year or so and it has a remote, when armed it will send you a text to say if the door opens or car starts etc and then sent you it's location every 3 minutes. You can request it's location at any time via text even if the unit is not armed. The instructions for the units are pretty crap and it WILL take some time to set up initially.

e*****7, Apr 19, 10:50pm
Thanks for the great info, the car I have is a XW falcon so not too much modern stuff in it! Not sure if it can be set up to cut off the fuel as it has no computer.

stevo2, Apr 19, 10:52pm

gmphil, Apr 20, 12:00am
^^^ yup that's the one!

gsimpson, Apr 20, 12:11am
Just put a solenoid shutoff valve in the fuel line. Hide it with a cover.

motorboy2011, Apr 20, 12:25am
easier to make it cut power to the ignition coil and no need to buy a solinoid then.

gsimpson, Apr 20, 12:39am
True but a car like that is easy to hotwire and they are likely doing that if stealing it. A fuel shutoff is more likely to catch them out if well hidden.

motorboy2011, Apr 20, 12:43am
No easier or harder to find the wires disconnecting a coil or a shutoff valve.

gmphil, Apr 20, 12:53am
when I was about ten my mates dad had a not sure now long timeago some a30/40 had a cut off on side fuel pump factory I think ! anyways was stolen like hundred times always found bottom of adjoining main road out gas lol . now thinking was it same guy or multiple offenders ?.

bjmh, Apr 20, 3:31am
LPG conversions had a fuel shut off ,quite small . it would be ideal on your XW . a real cheap easy thing would be a switch in the wire that goes from the coil to distributor. when they hot wire they will power the other side of the coil.

neville48, Apr 20, 9:38am
what about a switch to a detonator in the boot with 10 kilo of TNT.They will never steal cars again.

gsimpson, Apr 20, 9:56am
Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmpBYcM06Sk
Early in the film, the white model driven by Bond in Spain is destroyed when a mercenary inadvertently trips the self-destruct system. To achieve the effect, the crew destroyed a chassis worth about 16,000 German marks

motorboy2011, Apr 20, 10:30am
I did think of hooking it up to the airbag.

smac, Apr 20, 10:31am
Doesn't have to be all texts, the one's with a remote are not much more. The only downside of the one I have is that because there's no confirmation text it uses a chirp of the horn/siren to confirm. annoying as hell. You can get around it by wiring horn connection to the confirmation you want (eg LED or buzzer) but then have to use shutoff connection to siren (if you want a siren). bit of a hassle.

divermark, Apr 22, 6:28am
If price is not the main concern one of the AVS trackers provides access to a Google earth like web page with active tracking, geo fencing and remote kills. around $549 with install and $25 per month for all data fees and web site access, very slick product.

fordcrzy, Apr 24, 4:59am
The tk103b does geofencing too. just make sure you get one with a remote otherwise you have to pay 40 cents for arm/ disarm. im not convinced that live tracking is much use for the majority of users who just want a notification of tampering and location if stolen. i prefer to NOT hookup the siren so the theif doesnt know its there and therefor wont try to find it and rip it out. better to hook the horn and immobilise to a double pole relay so you can stop the car and sound the horn with a text

fordcrzy, Apr 24, 5:07am
I would interupt the wire from the coil to the dizzy. run the wiring all the way back into the cabin and have the relay in there. hide the tracker in the c pillar not under the dash. make sure all new wiring is taped to the old loom so it looks factory.

motorboy2011, Feb 27, 5:42am
I too chose to have no siren. The less stuff that was hooked up, the less likely anyone could spot it