Any hints on buying a new car?

Page 1 / 2
bootsy2003, Dec 4, 7:39am
After having owned my present car for 21 years (from new), I am thinking of buying another new car. A friend has said I should expect to be able to knock 10% off the retail price (am paying cash). Is that reasonable? I haven't bought a car on my own before (had hubby last time). Probably going for the same make as before (Mazda).

henderson_guy, Dec 4, 7:53am
Instead of looking at the discount, look at the deal. Will you be buying brand new or second hand?

tigertim20, Dec 4, 7:59am
your friend is full of shit.

bootsy2003, Dec 4, 8:08am
probably brand new

bootsy2003, Dec 4, 8:10am
I did wonder that, but he said we get a huge discount for new vehicles we buy at work (discount not available to staff), and I know that is true, so there is leeway. Have also heard end of year is a good time to buy if the salesmen haven't met their targets

bobwyn, Dec 4, 8:11am
perhaps you should check out Hollands Suzuki my inlaws have had 2 cars from them, I also took an aunty and an uncle there for there cars and they have been looked after with cost free motoring they pick up there cars when they need servicing and w o f and give them a loaner car . they may not drop the price on there cars for cash but while the car is under there cost free servicing you only pay you reg and insurance .

bwg11, Dec 4, 8:13am
Your friend is probably correct, BUT it will depend on make and model. If a new model with waiting lists not a chance. A discount of 10% is quite conceivable on a model which is in run-out or approaching run-out, particularly if the dealership has stock on hand and you are not fussy about colour or options.

bootsy2003, Dec 4, 8:15am
good thread. I figure cash saves them the hassle of filling out lots of finance forms. Hadn't thought of asking for extras to be thrown in, but was thinking of a reversing camera. And if they offer a reasonable trade-in price on mine then it brings the price I pay down.

franc123, Dec 4, 8:16am
You aren't going to get that much knocked off the retail price unless the importer/distributor is doing a promo, even if they did you would just end up with an even lower price for your trade which isn't worth that much to start with. I'd shop around and find what you like and see what the changeover price is going to be instead of just going to a Mazda dealer and seeing how much you can get out of them.

bootsy2003, Dec 4, 8:18am
Mum got a car from there a few years back and has 7 years cost free servicing. Looked at their current range but not excited by the colours, but their servicing deal is excellent.

franc123, Dec 4, 8:19am
Lol, finance forms are no hassle to them, they'd prefer it if you did use finance.

bwg11, Dec 4, 8:20am
Another vote for Hollands, my wife bought from them and the service has been brilliant.

bootsy2003, Dec 4, 8:22am
Mainly thought of going to a Mazda dealer as my last 2 cars have been Mazdas and I love them. Yes, the changeover price is all that matters. Not sure whether to ask for trade-in price first or cash price first or does it not matter? Very inexperienced at car buying.

stevo2, Dec 4, 8:23am
Some dealers are keener than others to negotiate.
In the past 2 years I have bought 2 Brand New vehicles. I was offered $9k off the retail of my van, RRP about $48k about 2 years back.
I bought a New Suzuki 4 or 5 months ago for Mrs Stevo.
It had an RRP of $34k on the road, the local dealer offered $2k off. I went to a small town provincial dealer an hour away and paid $28k on the road so thats $6k off that one.
It depends on your negotiating abilities and not having your heart set on any particular car. Buy with your head - not your heart.
I must add that both vehicles were cash sales purchased without Trade -ins.

bootsy2003, Dec 4, 8:31am
I don't necessarily have to trade in but have sort of decided on what model I want, and narrowed colour choice down so heart is almost set. Might have to test out my negotiating skills tomorrow.

bootsy2003, Dec 4, 8:41am
Hey, I'm a girl with a car I've loved for the past 21 years, so I have to buy with my heart, lol. But at least I am asking for advice on buying, so hopefully my head has some say too. :-)

socram, Dec 4, 9:33am
We were offered a better trade in this year than last (honest!) and also got about 15% knocked off the brand new one, as there is a minor facelift model due out shortly. Win-win for us. We didn't trade it, but sold it within 24 hours for $1,000 more, privately.

As far as we are concerned, a minor facelift means nothing as we expect to keep this one for a fair time anyway.

What really helped was that the dealership principal has moved on so the senior management were a lot more realistic, otherwise we would have bought last year - and they didn't even tell us then that the model was being phased out altogether, so they did us a huge favour.

We even managed to get a $2,500 tow bar included in the deal. Couldn't be happier. The only (minor) downside was that we only had a choice of 3, so couldn't get my usual silver and had to settle for metallic black.

I buy with the heart too! Don't knock it.

serf407, Dec 4, 10:00am
#1 - Do you have a trusted family member that can help or assist you?
How rough are the roads you drive on ?
You really need to go through a checklist of vehicle features and how you use a vehicle before making a choice.
Golf clubs, suitcase/ boot size for visting relatives picked up at the airport, carrying capacity for whatever hobby or club you might belong to, ability to do long trips, 4wd/2wd for going up the mountains in winter etc.
Size of your garage.

tintop, Dec 4, 8:36pm
Be direct with anyone you deal with.

Tell them you are shopping around, that you want a car that will do xyz, and that you have your present car to trade in.
Do not be too particular regarding colour or features - give the dealer room to offer a vehicle that they think may suit.

Ask what is the best deal that they can offer.

Write it all down, and pay a second visit to places that have cars/deals that you consider are worthwhile.

You are about to spend a reasonable sum of money, take a fraction of the % of time it took to earn it before spending it.

owen106, Dec 4, 8:44pm
So you are going to withdraw $20 000 in cash and carry it to the car dealer who will have to count it and then carry it to his bank? I don't think so!

Brand new cars have massive depreciation on them. Far better to buy a year old car with low mileage.

mals69, Dec 4, 8:45pm
Worked for the english with buying New Zealand from Maori with guns and
blankets

Daughter has a mazda 3 nothing great, half hour trip on open road feels like 4 hours.
Mother inlaw bought new nissan pulsar $28,000 leather seats and all the other bells - nicely put together package

mals69, Dec 4, 8:51pm
What a major problem $20,000 in cash loloolll they be happy with
the sale either way.
Depends on the new car deal whether togo new - sometimes bugger
all in it.

poppajn, Dec 4, 9:05pm
A $2500 towbar? Holy hell was it made of gold?

m16d, Dec 4, 9:21pm

mals69, Dec 4, 9:30pm
They place $1500 on top cause it has a sticker on it that
matches the make of the vehicle you have just purchased