New Fiat Punto?

Page 2 / 2
thejazzpianoma, Feb 9, 7:11pm
OP, if you want a shorter car. There are some really good deals going on ex demonstrator Fiat Panda's (and even brand new ones) and possibly even an ex demo Fiat 500 might be in your price range. Have a look on here as lots of dealers list their ex demo and special price stock.

Personally I prefer the simpler older style 1.2 and 1.4 engines to the fancy new "twin air" motor. Economy despite what is says on paper is a much of a muchness. The twin air is a great motor though if you enjoy zipping along like an Italian, it makes a fun noise and has loads of go. It really needs to rev to work nicely though.

Both the 500 and Panda are all really much the same mechanically as the Grande Punto. I feel the Grande Punto is more car for your money than the Panda, but then having had both I really like our Panda for it's uprightness and visibility. It's also quite fun in it's own right, something you have to see for yourself. The Panda does a fantastic job of being super manoeuvrable in the city while still being able to carry plenty of gear/people in relative comfort. As above I don't even feel hard done by doing a 500km round trip in one.

skyblue17, Feb 9, 7:24pm
The Herald Motoring section did a review of the Punto in the last few weeks. Have to say the review was very positive. Surprised the reviewer too, from memory.

rovercitroen, Feb 9, 7:35pm
I've been looking at buying a late model - not new - small car to complement my other large car. I've read some very good reviews on the newer model Fiat Panda. I would probably go for a manual but having had an Alfa with Selespeed transmission before I will test drive a Dualogic Fiat to see if the technology and gear changing has improved over the years. The new Puntos do SEEM good value at the moment but as Jazz says look for a near new or ex-demo one for a few grand less.
I know the 'sensible choice' for me is a Swift Sport but they are SO common now and I'm not known for making sensible car choices! LOL.

tsjcf, Feb 9, 7:45pm

kazbanz, Feb 9, 8:00pm
Im sorry dude your figures are a bit out of whack
NOW 10k is buying you jap imports with 40 ish k on the clock and 2007 and newer.--Have a looksee.
They don't have a cambelt as a rule.
Tyres don't need to be an issue because you ask for new tyres as part of the deal. A lot of jap imports come with reversing camera's or sensors built in. Based on what I have seen if you then add 50000km on the clock over 5 years the car will be at 90k and will be worth $5000.00
So actually 10k plus radio of your choice-say $200-&10300
So you loose $5300.
Vs new punto -even by your in my opinion very optimistic figures
21000 to 10000 means $11000 depreciation.
so double the depreciation and you still have to find that $21000
I would also check on that1/3 1/3 1/3 deal
The way it works is you need to front up with $7000 when you drive off in the car then $7000 a year later and $7000 as a final payment.
Great if that works for you but apply the same logic to the jappa
$7000 up front and $3000 still to pay.saving the same amount you need to for the punto you have the Jappa paid for in full within 6 months even allowing for interest on that $3000.
So you have $10000 in your pocket to start with
The dealer warranty bit is interesting. Have a GOOD look at the service requirements to qualify.

lmdnz, Feb 9, 8:34pm
$10000 in your pocket but an older car with no warranty. NZer's have an aversion to buying new cars, quite different to europe where the common person buys new cars as a matter of course.

Lucky for Harvey Norman in NZ we are happy to blow thousands on the latest phone and tv every couple of years. If we applied your argument to TV's we would all still have philips tube TV's. :-)

jmma, Feb 9, 8:41pm
Seems OP has made up their mind. :oP

skyblue17, Feb 9, 8:57pm
Some very good points here. So the choice is between a brand new car with a substantial warranty, and an old car with unknown history and no warranty. If the TA has the cash for the difference there's no contest. She sounds very capable of making the best decision.

kazbanz, Feb 10, 12:00am
imdnz-i didn't check your profile sorry.
1)I don't know what kind of cars of similar size/spec to a punto you are looking at or where but most cars that compete with the Punto have cam chains. If you could give make/model it would be usefull
2)if you are looking at 2005 model cars that compete then you are looking at $8000 cars. Then you can have a 3 year autosure warranty and still be in under $9000 That has the advantage you can have the vehicle serviced where you choose -not pay the huge service fees the franchises charge.
3) Im not referring to 2005 cars. -with a 10k budget you are looking at least 2007 -2010

kazbanz, Feb 10, 12:54am
hey its your call and your money. In theory you should have trouble free driving buying a new car.There must be people out there who have purchased a new punto that have had a trouble free experience Im sure.
You do tend to find its the discruntled customers who shout the loudest.
I guess it just seems theres an awfull lot of em

tamarillo, Feb 10, 1:01am
Mirage is dated, old tech, bad car all round. It's rubbish and always will be.

tamarillo, Feb 10, 1:05am
Punto. If you can afford it there's nothing like the feeling of a new car and punts gets very good reports from motoring journos who get to drive everything. It is an older model now hence good pricing but it's not dated and ghastly like the mirage.
Solid well proven mechanicals too.
If you have good local fiat workshop go for it. You'll enjoy the punto.

msigg, Feb 10, 5:51am
poppy62, not a good example of reliability, 200k had to have a new head put on?. Buggger that.

stevo2, Feb 10, 6:13am
Jazz isnt the Punto on runout?

morrisman1, Feb 10, 6:18am
but wouldn't that have more to do with purchase price, and rental companies don't care about fuel economy or blah blah, so that would make the point that juicy bought some invalid? Just like its invalid that hertz buys corollas aye.

lmdnz, Feb 10, 6:27am
Well I test drove one today and was happily impressed. It is no luxury car but doesn't claim to be. Once explained that it is more like a manual without a clutch pedal than an auto (in terms of feel) the gearchanges feel fine. It won't win a drag race but won't be expected too so that's fine too. I took it through the domain and it handled the speed bumps well.

Only having the cheap dash model to test drive was poorly planned, it is horrible. The dash in the other models makes it feel a different car. They state they cannot deviate from the RRP. Hmmm.

twincam1, Feb 10, 6:43am
With the rubbish drivers in NZ, you don't want to be driving a little tin box on the road.

skyblue17, Feb 10, 6:51am
Excellent reason to avoid Suzuki Swift and any number of tiny jappas.

tamarillo, Feb 10, 6:55am
You will all over europe.

tamarillo, Feb 10, 6:57am
Hmmmm. Yet the smallest of them, the 2 seat smart gets excellent crash test result. Check out video of top gear driving it into concrete barrier.
It's only morons in ancient cart sprung iron girder chassis SUVs hitting decent cars that causes any problem.

tamarillo, Jun 25, 6:06pm
Or maybe they are smart and saw a point of difference and an attraction to Europeans on holiday. Clever these jucy folk.