My car only overheats when going up steep hills

Page 1 / 3
daviecrockitt, Nov 10, 3:17am
to the extent that i have to pull over and turn the car off as it goes up to its maximum level, then i turn the ignition on after a minute and it seems to of cooled right down to the normal temperature, so i came back home and it stayed at the normal temperature all the way home which is about 15 kms away, no water was used, and no water in the oil, still ran like new. Does anyone know what maybe causing this please ?

johotech, Nov 10, 3:24am
Has someone taken the thermostat out?

skiff1, Nov 10, 3:27am
Your radiator may be full of crud and need replacement or rodding.

skiff1, Nov 10, 3:28am
Your temperature sender may be faulty? Your fan may have a fault? Heaps of things, talk to a mechanic to get it sorted.

daviecrockitt, Nov 10, 3:32am
Don't think so shall i have a look ? If not should i take it out or maybe replace it

johotech, Nov 10, 3:34am
Well it doesn't hurt to have a look.

What colour is the car?

tamarillo, Nov 10, 3:41am
Op, what kind of car and are you mechanically inclined.
These days even getting to thermostat can be hard work, and you can't check from outside.
Your cooling system is broken basically, car works harder up long hill hence that's when it is hot.
There are too many reasons for this to help on forum, it needs checking by someone who knows what to look for. Mechanic.
Red cars run hotter anyway.

skiff1, Nov 10, 3:42am
play nice!

woody1946, Nov 10, 3:46am
When I jog uphills I get overheated. What should I check ?

skiff1, Nov 10, 3:49am
simple, stop jogging. Exercise is for people too poor to own cars.

kazbanz, Nov 10, 3:50am
Short version--Your car gave you ONE get out of jail free card. Its told you in no uncertain terms that "something" is wrong with its cooling system.
WHAT is wrong? I dunno. Dodgy thermostat. Dodgy cooling fans,blocked radiator ,dodgy temp sensor. water pump on its last legs. -or a combination of those things
What I DO know for absolute 100% certain-ignore this free pass and it could cost you thousands to fix. So take it to a mechanic and get it sorted ASAP. I'd even go so far as to say don't drive it.
Am I over dramatizing--For YOUR sake yep I hope so. But then do you want to risk needing a new engine?

kazbanz, Nov 10, 3:51am
Your inlet valve seems fine so I'd check your exhaust valve is opening properly.

johotech, Nov 10, 3:57am
Might be easier to just sell it to an unsuspecting dealer. But it depends what colour it is of course.

tony9, Nov 10, 3:59am
Common problem with E-Types towing a caravan.

franken1, Nov 10, 4:17am
Towing a caravan with an E-type shows a distinct lack of class.

trad, Nov 10, 4:19am
Nowadays a 1946 Woody is only good for panting up gentle slopes at a slow pace. Sounds like it is being pushed too hard.

mainlander05, Nov 10, 4:47am
Sounds like the outlet valve has been accidentally mixed up with inlet valve.
Serious issue kaz.

henderson_guy, Nov 10, 5:01am
Easy fix. Just drive downhill from now on. Costs absolutely nothing, you'll even save big bucks on gas. You're welcome.

mrfxit, Nov 10, 5:06am
Why did god create a rubbish exit next to the creation device

lookoutas, Nov 10, 5:07am
Then he'd better stop jogging his woody.

henderson_guy, Nov 10, 5:10am
He obviously worked for the council, who else would put a sewer next to a playground?

drog, Nov 10, 5:13am
When Tim Shadbolt was elected Mayor of Waitakere city, he towed his concrete mixer the full length of the Henderson main drag with the mayoral Rolls-Royce. Beat that.

tintop, Nov 10, 5:19am
Except it was Waitemata City, and it was a Daimler.

jmma, Nov 10, 5:22am
Might have been a Daimler (o:

joanie04, Nov 10, 5:28am
My brother offered to buy his Holden that he used to tow the mixer with. He wasn't interested in selling lol.