My car only overheats when going up steep hills

Page 2 / 3
next-to-normal, Nov 10, 5:39am
when was your last oil change,or proper coolant, straight water dont cut it on some cars

upnorth, Nov 10, 6:04am
Global warming, put the car away 'til next Winter and try again.

mrfxit, Nov 10, 6:11am
Anything in the system could be failing including . >>

Viscous fan hub
Partly blocked radiator (internal or external)
Badly worn water pump.
Damaged fan blade
Slipping fan belt
Partly blocked water channels in the engine
Failing temp gauge

Engine Timing out

drog, Nov 10, 6:26pm
I stand corrected.

tgray, Nov 10, 6:36pm
OP, this is the only post you need to read.

pdc1, Nov 10, 8:02pm
Advice as above, treat it as a serious warning, get it seen to ASAP, but Has this happened more than once?
It does not sound like it was actually hot. A hot engine does not cool down in a minute after going up hill. Actually you will expect the temperature to have risen more in that minute.
Turning an engine off when it is overheating is normally not the best thing to do. Sometimes you have to, such as loss of coolant, but trying to cool it down, by fast idling, coasting downhill if option could save engine damage. Engine temperatures only go hotter once you shut it down

skiff1, Nov 10, 8:24pm
the reading on the gauge may go up, but no engine gets hotter once you turn it off. There is no new heat being generated, how could it? Heat may continue to transfer from the block and head to the coolant, but the engine is not getting hotter.

phillip.weston, Nov 10, 9:45pm
Partially blocked radiator would most likely be the culprit - not able to work efficiently when the engine is at maximum load going up a hill.

Also, next time do NOT just shut the ignition off when the engine is really hot - it needs the engine on for the water pump to cool down the engine. Next time it overheats - pull over, keep the engine running, open the bonnet and keep an eye on the temp gauge ensuring the water temp comes down. Thermal shock by shutting the engine off right away can lead to a blown head gasket or cracked head.

billyfieldman, Nov 10, 10:08pm
That's good to know. Is it true that in such a situation, turning the heater on would also help to cool down the engine?

kiwitrader43, Nov 10, 11:21pm
Make, model and age of car? Auto or manual? Car completely empty or full of cargo, trailer, caravan etc?
Does it overheat at night or just during heat of the day?
All hills or just a particularly steep one?
Electric fan or one which is attached to the front of the motor?
Air conditioning or none?

kiwitrader43, Nov 10, 11:25pm
The temperature gauge is there to warn you that serious financial pain will befall you if you don't stop driving it.
Do you have any intelligent and experienced mechanically minded friends or neighbours, petrol heads than can have a look?

kiwitrader43, Nov 10, 11:31pm
If there is no water leaking from the engine are when parked overnight after a drive I suggest going to repco/ supercheap auto parts, or similar retailer and buying a bottle of radiator flush.
Stick the garden hose into top of the radiator and suck 3 cms of water out and then pour in the radiator/engine flush fluid.
Top up the radiator and take the car for a 20 minute drive. Leave it in and drive it for a few days like this.
Report back on here of any difference with the temperature gauge.
If no difference, go to the wreckers and buy 2 secondhand ones.
Fit them and see if any change. If still getting hot, take to a garage.

pdc1, Nov 11, 12:51am
We are talking about the first minute of turning an engine off. You have taken away the circulation, by turning the engine off. Heat has to go somewhere, and if the coolant isn??

elect70, Nov 11, 2:22am
Turn heater on full bore going up hills , helps the cooling

phillip.weston, Nov 11, 2:31am
Sometimes turning A/C on might be more beneficial, in the sense that the A/C radiator fan will turn on and help push/pull more air through the engine radiator.

pdc1, Nov 11, 2:50am
good point phillip, quite right, will depend on the car.

valentino, Nov 11, 2:56am
Does the motor ping going up hill?

skiff1, Nov 11, 5:47am
I disagree.

pdc1, Nov 11, 10:14am
so when you say??? reading on the gauge may go up??? this means that the engine is getting cooler does it. ?

franc123, Nov 11, 10:29am
44 posts and no statement of what the vehicle even is! Some of the above possibly faulty components may not even apply. I wouldn't bother contributing anything else.

lugee, Nov 11, 11:42pm
Actually it does. If the coolant is getting hotter, and there is no more heat being generated, the engine (the metal parts) MUST be getting cooler. The heat must be being taken from somewhere. You cannot heat something up without either making something else cooler, or consuming energy. Simple laws of physics.

kazbanz, Nov 12, 12:28am
which is why I posted -
Short version--Your car gave you ONE get out of jail free card. Its told you in no uncertain terms that "something" is wrong with its cooling system.
WHAT is wrong? I dunno. Dodgy thermostat. Dodgy cooling fans,blocked radiator ,dodgy temp sensor. water pump on its last legs. -or a combination of those things
What I DO know for absolute 100% certain-ignore this free pass and it could cost you thousands to fix. So take it to a mechanic and get it sorted ASAP. I'd even go so far as to say don't drive it.
Am I over dramatizing--For YOUR sake yep I hope so. But then do you want to risk needing a new engine?

elect70, Nov 12, 2:27am
But your also sucking in the heat from the condenser . I had similar problem in VL comomhore turned out the baffle in middle of the header tank ( cross flow rad ) had come adrift . rebuilt rad fixed it , & new head , cracked into oil gallery

pdc1, Nov 12, 2:41am
You are taking this out of context. Yes the combustion surfaces are definitely cooling, but there is still more than enough heat to conduct from there creating a rise in temperature in other areas without circulation of the coolant. The cooling process is happening, but in many engines it is not initially in head and block coolant temperature. Splitting hairs here, saying that the engine is cooling because the combustion area is starting to cool, when many other components and coolant is increasing in heat initially after shut down.

skiff1, Oct 24, 4:11pm
actually yes. Does the gauge read the temperature of the engine, or the coolant?