Tourist drivers

echoriath, Jun 15, 1:56am
This may have already been asked and answered, but does the recent death of a prominent rugby player driving overseas mean we get to have a discussion about bad driving practices by Kiwis when they are tourists in other countries? Or do Kiwis only get upset when tourists visiting NZ drive poorly?

Another topic is poor Kiwi driving habits WITHIN NZ, but that might just be a bit too delicate of a subject.

mimik3, Jun 15, 2:35am
I take it from the stony silence we only comment on bad drivers in New Zealand. Overseas we are the best drivers in the world.

clark20, Jun 15, 2:37am
Sure, come up with the stats that show how bad we are overseas, then we can discuss

lookoutas, Jun 15, 3:37am
It wasn't a Kiwi driver.

afer_daily, Jun 15, 4:49am
havnt seen the breath test results on the french bus driver yet ?

gunhand, Jun 15, 5:06am
Ive heard 3 versions of how it happened so far, and none blame the bus as such.
Can't say they have said to much really, maybe they just don't want us to know how it happened. But they really are not pointing fingers as yet, that I know of.

cabrio1, Jun 15, 5:15am
I was wondering if the French message boards would be bemoaning tourist drivers, similar to such threads here?
Just wondering.

echoriath, Jun 15, 6:32am
So we're happy to own Collins only as a rugby player?

It's not really only about him anyway, but to draw attention to the dangers of knee-jerk reactions in any case. And none of it undoes the tragedies that come with careless/inattentive driving, in NZ or elsewhere.

The real issue is making drivers aware of the hazardous work in which they are involved (i.e., driving a ground-based missile), and making roads that are easily and sensibly navigated. But nothing replaces being an alert, attentive and engaged driver.

henderson_guy, Jun 15, 3:01am
I think you might find it wasn't Jerry Collins behind the wheel at all. But you're right.