Australian driving in NZ. Insurance question.

nightboss, Feb 23, 11:22pm
With the current spate of serious and fatal accidents involving tourists I thought I should complete the story of my Aussie cousin and my insurance.

I went into the insurance office to do some other business and asked while there.

AMI treat Aussie licence holders the same as NZ licence holders for driving here, e.g. [1] Over 25, [2] Has held full licence for over 2 years and [3] Have no driving convictions, declined insurance etc,etc.

tjholding, Feb 24, 12:33am
I agree, as it varies by company.

Some companies impose an extra excess on ALL non-New Zealand Licences. Some companies do it on all overseas licences except for certain companies. Some say 'non-nz' some safe 'non-nz or equivilent'.

I think Aus licences, when there is an exception, are generally seen as equivilent, whereas US licences are not (as they drive on other side of road)

EDIT: Missed the last update from OP that AMI sees them as the same.

kazbanz, Feb 24, 1:01am
nightboss- That ^^^ is what the nice lady at the office told you.
And I'm sure they will stand behind that right up until she has a bingle.
Then it will be deny deny deny.
My very strong recommendation is to very specifically get a an inclusion into your cover for her with the specifics of her licence etc
lets put it this way--if Im wrong you've wasted just a few minutes of youyr time. if im right you stand to loose a few thousand to several thousand dollars if something does happen.

nightboss, Nov 7, 5:58am
My cousin is coming over to NZ for a month soon, she will be driving one of my cars while here.
As she is "over 25", well over actually, will her Aussie licence be enough should an insurance event arise. Or do I have to register her as a temporary "named driver" on the policy?

jason_247, Nov 7, 6:02am
should be ok but due to usually attracting no extra fee i would just get her added on for piece of mind

pauldw, Nov 7, 6:20am
With our policy you can add a driver to get rid of 1 extra excess but there'd still be an excess for non NZ licence.

mazda-min, Nov 7, 8:50am
Just ring your insurance company to ask. Pays to be safe than sorry than take the advice of someone on a messageboard.

dave653, Nov 8, 1:25am
Tell her not to crash it. you break it you bought it. Anyone else hits it it's thier problem, we can only be so careful.

brycer, Nov 8, 1:34am
This! End of.

nightboss, Nov 8, 5:45am
So you don't know either.

wellyguynz, May 31, 5:45pm
just call your insurance company