Late model Euro car options, values in NZ

Page 1 / 2
phillip.weston, Jan 20, 12:42pm
Hello all - long time lurker first time poster etc etc.

So I haven't found an ideal widebody Starion here in the UK to bring back home with me August this year, so I've decided to find a late model Euro that is worth peanuts here but still worth something decent in NZ, to either hang onto myself for years to come or just immediately sell for a profit once it lands.

I'm currently looking at E90 BMW 3-series, most likely a 325 just so it has a 6cyl at least, but possibly a 320d as well. Would an estate be more or less appealing in NZ? Would a diesel 320d/325d be worth a premium over the 325 or 330? The F30 is still perhaps a little out of my reach at the moment.

Other models I'm looking at are:
Audi A4 either pre 08 or 08 onwards if I can afford it, given it's still the current shape model (surely will be replaced soon?)
Vauxhall Insignia, though I think I may be wiser getting an Opel Insignia from Ireland so it has the km/h gauge cluster and more familiar Opel brand.
Peugeot 508 - these things have plummeted in value here but I think they are a decent looking vehicle with lots of features.
Maybe even an older Renault Megane RS as these seem to be worth a bit in NZ from what I've seen so far.

Thoughts guys? Jazz I welcome your opinion here but no Fiats please!

mugenb20b, Jan 20, 5:39pm
How expensive would a mid engined Renault Clio be in Europe?

vtecintegra, Jan 20, 6:26pm
I reckon a high spec E90 wagon with a petrol engine and manual would get you the best return here (if you were to sell immediately)

I don't think the Peugeot or Vauxhall/Opel would be as easy to sell

serf407, Jan 20, 6:34pm
Would you get something like the Audi purely on the galvanised body feature due to the mindset among many in NZ that any Ex- European pre-owned car has been used on salted roads and is therefore a rust bucket in waiting even if its not showing it yet.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/31/salt-mine-roads-winsford-cheshire Import purely for your own transport as many Euros for sale can sit for a long time. http://www.sunlive.co.nz/news/91457-strong-dollar-drives-up-car-sales.html

phillip.weston, Jan 20, 6:59pm
I live in London and I would probably be sourcing a car from London or the south where it doesn't snow and there isn't salt on the roads. I would be looking at something 2-4 years old ideally so hopefully rust wouldn't be an issue by then.

phillip.weston, Jan 20, 7:02pm
There's a few around but unsure I want to touch a Renault that's more than 5 years old!

socram, Jan 20, 7:11pm
Good luck! You said you might want to hang on to it, so just buy what you enjoy driving. Most modern cars (Euro or Japanese) are probably built to a higher overall standard these days than they used to be, but few are going to be restoration projects in the distant future.

My major concern is now focused far less on potential rot and bodyshell issues or even mechanical issues, but on electronics and computers, including any built in sat nav systems. Some of these gizmos may be extras but at the heart of any car these days is a computer.

I'm no Luddite, but we have a had a real spate of home electronics fail over the last year and all needed replacement, as repair wasn't feasible.

phillip.weston, Jan 20, 7:17pm
the other thing I've noticed while looking, is that 5 series BMWs are now almost the same price as a 3 series given the age and milage. Would this be the case in NZ? Would a 5 series bring a premium over a 3 series? I guess I'm chasing info from the car dealers here - kaz, tgray, carstauranga etc

poppy62, Jan 20, 8:12pm
I would recommend checking out the Mercedes CLA (C class) or the new A Class. VW Tiguan, Polo R and the Skoda Yeti are still commanding good resale value here also a Top spec Citroen DS3/4 would be great drivers/keepers. Just my thoughts. BTW, Audi/ BMW only the Cabrios, because of numbers. For me personally a Brabus version Smart Roadster.

fiatracer, Jan 20, 8:59pm
hey Phil - longtime. What about a 1 series BMW - 123d, or 130? I wouldn't bother with a big Pug, or the Insignia - unknown here [the latter]. Megane RS or similar - yep, or Golf R32 or GTi maybe. Local dealer is brining in LOTS of audi Q7s from the UK [and other stuff]. Jag XJ8 alloy body? Older M5? Elise?

fiatracer, Jan 20, 9:01pm
yes, Skoda Yeti might be an option if it's UK/NZ price differential that's priority. Citroen c6? Audi TT 2nd gen. maybe the 5 cylinder?

robotnik, Jan 20, 9:14pm
Owing to how much Kiwis dislike old Euros, perhaps you can buy a Jap car. A made in the UK Honda Civic Type R might be worth something in NZ due to its rarity here for example.

twincam1, Jan 20, 9:16pm
Landrover Defender, never lose money on those.

fiatracer, Jan 20, 9:43pm
911? If you can find a rust free 911SC 3.2 or a 964 era car - they have held their values for the last decade and the right cars are climbing. Again - not sure what UK prices are like. Could be a cool car to keep for a while then flick on. 996s might be cheap over there? some caveats apply with those. Boxster/Cayman?

fiatracer, Jan 20, 9:47pm
BENTLEY! Seriously - Turbo R or later. RR Seraph? There must be something in your price range? You know you want.

kazbanz, Jan 21, 12:15am
PW--if the cars a keeper then ignore half of this advice.
But assuming its for sale.
1)make sure you get the TOP spec model of whatever you are looking at.
basicly the kind of people wanting a euro in NZ don't want poverty pack
2)stick with mainstream models in NZ -the more exotic you go the slower it will be to sell.
3) make any purchase apsolutely conditional to a complete underbody inspection for rust or accident damage.
4)Where its a flick of switch or simple reset get the speedo/odo flicked over to KM's from miles in Europe.That way the dereg is in Kms -make life easier this end.-incidently this is NOT odo tampering as you are just resetting unit of measure.

brapbrap8, Jan 21, 12:52am
+1
Or something like a Subaru WRX STI Cosworth or Prodrive
An Evo X FQ 400 or something would be good too as they weren't sold here.

timmo1, Jan 21, 2:42am
I'd bring something rare- Elise, Exige, Porsche etc i.e cars which aren't already here in large numbers as Japanese imports but are still well known enough that people are actually searching for them. A Range Rover might be suitable too?

fiatracer, Jan 21, 3:38am
Morgan Aero 8, assuming of course that all these recommendations meet whatever frontal impact rules are in place now

stevo2, Jan 21, 4:59am
BMW 123d, Golf GTi, or sporty Merc

djrandomguy, Jan 21, 5:32am
508's are meant to be great cars and the drivetrains are well proven

vtecintegra, Jan 21, 6:31am
From what I've seen the E60 5 series have depreciated down lower than a 3 series of a similar spec and year

haventrader, Jan 21, 6:47am
Agreed, and they always sell despite high mileage.

stevo2, Jan 21, 7:33am
How about a Mini or a van?

msigg, Jan 21, 7:57am
twincam1 is onto it. You can look on trademe yourself and see the price of cars here. The only vehicle I would bring in is an old Military jeep or such like, they go up in value. As for bimmers, plenty of cheap ones here. In new Zealand 2014 more new cars sold for the year than any of the past 20 years, so plenty of cars out there, so can't give away.