Brought a car but its not quite what i want

Page 1 / 2
3_cent_coin, Sep 23, 3:31am
Friend brought a motor car from dealer,on way home realized it wasn't what he wanted on ringing car dealer to bring it back they said cant take it back as wont be new import. What are his rights can he demand money back. I thought you had so many days if you were not happy with car to return it, any import would be great full

pico42, Sep 23, 3:34am
Just to be clear, your friend simply changed their mind?

jmma, Sep 23, 3:34am
Don't think anything covers "it wasn't what he wanted" (o:
Is it financed?

3_cent_coin, Sep 23, 3:36am
Yes once on open road it wasn't
for him and not financed.

jmma, Sep 23, 3:45am
Just out of interest, what is the car?

3_cent_coin, Sep 23, 4:00am
Toyota fielder 1500

henderson_guy, Sep 23, 4:11am
Sorry, your mate is stuck with it. This is why you do due diligence before you buy something.

jmma, Sep 23, 4:12am
Kaz will be along soon, he knows everything (o:
But I think you friend should get used to driving it, he now owns it!

3tomany, Sep 23, 4:20am
dealer might be forgiving if you swap it for another on their yard so might be time to do some grovelling

saxman99, Sep 23, 4:22am
Sell it, buy something else. File any losses under E and move on. Easy.

tony9, Sep 23, 4:23am
Of course he can demand his money back. But the dealer has no obligation to do so, and demanding will do him more hard than good.

And of course he can return the car if he is not happy with it. Just leave it in the yard and transfer licensing to the dealer. But the dealer does not have to pay a cent for it.

monaro17, Sep 23, 4:36am
Sorry, tough bikkies mate. Surely they did a good long test drive before buying it? They are now stuck with it through no fault of anybody but themselves.

kazbanz, Sep 23, 4:39am
3 cent coin- Your friend doesn't have the right to "change their mind" and expect the dealer to give them their money back.
My advice would be to go back to the dealer and ASK the dealer if they will trade the car in on another option.

Where people get confused is that you have the legal right to cancel a finance agreement within a time period of purchase -it was 7 days.
The catch there is that the reason you can do this is its in essence a "cashout" clause. So you need to pay in full for the car.

fordcrzy, Sep 23, 5:21am
the dealer is right. if its a new import it may have been registered in his name? now its not a new import but a one owner in nz import I.E even more of a used car than before.

darryl, Sep 23, 5:40am
Oh good grief

msigg, Sep 23, 5:56am
If it is bought on credit you have 3 days from the time of receiving your contract, otherwise go straight back to the dealer and talk turkey, they may buy it back at a lesser price, If they said it will tow your 6metre boat and it won't then you can argue the case, otherwise maybe they might swap for something else on the yard, cash either way, anyway best get straight back there and talk, time is of the essence.

franc123, Sep 23, 6:02am
What is the complaint with its open road behaviour? A Corolla Fielder is one of the most inoffensive four wheeled appliances on the planet, is it noise or lack of power or something else?

richardmayes, Sep 23, 6:18am
Does that mean he was disappointed to find that a 1500cc Corolla isn't quite the hard-charging driver's car he anticipated?

Sell 1500cc Fielder.

Buy older V8 Fairmont.

Problem solved.

trogedon, Sep 23, 9:01am
richardmayes wrote:
Does that mean he was disappointed to find that a 1500cc Corolla isn't quite the hard-charging driver's car he anticipated?

Sell 1500cc Fielder.

Buy older V8 Fairmont.

Problem CREATED!

grangies, Sep 23, 9:15am
Ummmmmmm NO you don't have "so many days" actually.

If it was like that, people could go to a dealer and buy a car and go on holiday with it, and then go back to the dealer and ask for their money back. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHHA FkN NO WAY .

A 1500cc Fielder is shit, but what did he expect?. A Mercedes CLS SHooting Brake? LOL

gazzat22, Sep 23, 10:52pm
A Fool and his money are soon Parted,Marry in haste repent at leisure.Unbelievable!

tgray, Sep 23, 11:29pm
yesterday I sold a car to a lady, who had trouble deciding on the silver one or white one. (same year/make/model)
After finally deciding on the white one, I filled in all the paperwork, she signed the documents, I then changed ownership online and she paid for it through internet banking.
She then asked my 14 year old son which colour he liked best, and he said the silver one. She was really upset about this and then thought she may have bought the wrong colour! (all on the comment of a teenage kid).
In the end, she accepted the white one was hers and then drove away.

petal_91, Sep 24, 12:34am
Many retailers give customers a right of return for change of mind, in exchange for store credit or whatever. Why can't car dealerships do the same thing?!

tgray, Sep 24, 12:44am
They can and some do.

ianab, Sep 24, 1:12am
Except that the registration has already been changed to the buyers name and cant be removed. So the car has one more owner on record, and has dropped in value. No fault of the dealer but he takes a loss.