Best way to build trailer 2m by 3m

frankfamily15, Jan 5, 7:41am
best way to build my trailer an what steel boxin to use

tnt423, Jan 5, 7:50am
What sort of trailer? one with sides or a flat top type? 2500kg or 3500kg?

frankfamily15, Jan 5, 7:54am
1500kgs springs an small side cheers

tigertim20, Jan 5, 7:57am
2m x 3m is a big trailer for just 1500kg springs.

what will you carry on it?

skin1235, Jan 5, 8:01am
single axle? or tandem?

frankfamily15, Jan 5, 8:02am
motor bikes an campin gear nothin to big

frankfamily15, Jan 5, 8:03am
single axle do u think 2500kg would be better an wat boxin would u use

purple666, Jan 5, 8:04am
Trailers are like sheds, the bigger they are the more you put in/on them.

tigertim20, Jan 5, 8:13am
for the size youre doing Id suggest 50x3 box and a tandem axle.
other opinions may differ, but at that size youll inevitably end up using it for something much larger than you might intend right now

skin1235, Jan 5, 8:15am
okay, single axle

a wee hint

most passenger car tyres have a max loading written on the side of them, and most car tyres max loading rates do no exceed 800kg
this means if you have a single axle, your tyres can handle a max load of 1600kg, and you've got nearly 1000 of that is the trailer empty

a 3x2 trailer would better suit a tandem setup ( and trogen do a complete suspension tandem setup, simple weld or bolt on, for quite a good price), slippers and pivots are all setup on an angle iron, with springs etc

standard tyres X4 = 3200 kg

h.e, Jan 5, 8:42am
A 2400 x 1200 is a large single axle trailer, at 3m you should really consider going tandem. Also you may need to reconsider the width, maximum width on the road is 2.5m. 2m deck plus 2 guards will put you close but probably over. Personally I would use 65 x 35 x 3 RHS for the frame 40 x 5 angle for the crossmembers at 400 centres and 75 x 50 x 4 RHS for the drawbar

tnt423, Jan 5, 8:55am
I'd make it 10x5 tandem or 10x6 if you need the width, big difference in towing between a 4,5 and over 6ft wide trailer if you only have a small car, most tow bars are only rated to 750kg unbraked a trailer that size will be 400-550kg empty. On my trailers I use 50x50x3 for the chassis, sides I use 2 or 2.5mm sheet same with the mud guards, I like the transtex ply wood seems to last really well.

serf407, Jan 5, 9:18am
What is your tow vehicle? First thing to consider is the draw bar height of the tow vehicle.
Hire a few modern trailers and tow them 100 km or so each to give you an idea of what you like and do not like. Underdeck trailer spare tyre storage or another place.
There are a few online plans - you will have to check or the current rules to make sure any plans are compliant with any existing or about to be introduced rules.
http://www.trailersauce.co.nz/trailer-plans/8-x-5-tandem-axle-trailer/introduc/

frankfamily15, Jan 5, 9:24am
I have 4x4 an pulls like a school boy and thanks everyone for ur input

clatty, Jan 5, 6:08pm
If you build fit with brakes. If someone retro fits brakes on tandem may have alter second axle as width changes.

berg, Jan 5, 6:26pm
Like the OP, I was looking to build my own 8x4,2 tipping trailer. I did a bit of homework about costs etc then actually had one built locally by an engineer who does them all the time. By the time I added up all the costs, without any labor, I was only about $500 cheaper than what he built me one for. Food for thought

clatty, Jan 5, 6:35pm
Trailers need to be galvanized or end up with rust heap . My trailer had new draw bar , new body new springs new wheels for brakes, registered in 1976 nothing left of it

clatty, Jan 5, 6:48pm
Let me explain . I bought this trailer off hire center. Years ago. It was converted to tandem from single axle by throwing the whole body on to a new chassis with drawbar attached. Had brand new draw bar when I got it. Problem was the older body frame was rusting out. Therefore recently built new floor and sides on the newer lower frame. Put brakes on before this was done. Nothing left of the original trailer .

xs1100, Jan 5, 7:51pm
have a look at trailersauce.co.nz everything is explained there and excellent trailer builder,all the parts are available through BNT

lookoutas, Mar 21, 9:38am
While a tandem is good for loading up, and they tow good, they're a pain in the arse for manoeuvring around by hand.
If you build a single axel, put some decent sized wheels on it, not some skinny 13" coz they were free. Those wheels will fish-tail all over the place, whereas some 15" with good wide tyres will make a hell of a difference.

Have made this change to a few trailers in the past with excellent results. But back then, my trailers needed to handle well.
Often arrived home from out in the sticks with chunks of the BNZ wedged into the left rear corner. Just as well the bike was an inert object.