Wanted small inexpensive Tip truck

melinda1, Feb 1, 12:36am
Been chasing these for weeks and keep missing out. Does anybody in Trade Me land know of any in the South Island-Mazda Titan or similar small truck. Want to cart a bit of metal and wood but these wee trucks are scarce. Hoping someone in Motoring can help

grangies, Feb 1, 4:04am
I guess they'll become even more and more scarce too, as I'm pretty sure they are no longer ( or soon to be no longer ) able to be imported from Japan, due to emissions and safety regulations in NZ for light trucks. Airbags, ABS brakes etc.

A local builder I know up here in the Far North, has a fleet of 90's Mazda Titans, and grabs good ones that come onto the market whenever the opportunity arises.

Those little trucks often have a 6 tonne gross weight license, so they are very sought after in the building/landscaping sector.

Toyota Dyna is another brand to consider, although I have seen some nasty rust in some of the older ones cabs.

melinda1, Feb 1, 6:11am
Grangies- that explains it. Been looking in both islands and keep getting pipped. They are indeed very sought after.So much for making hubby's life a bit easier. In Christchurch they have been scarce since the earthquake as everybody is doing yard work. Thanks serf407 too

melinda1, Feb 1, 9:12am
Is there a lot of legal paperwork to put a tip deck on a flat deck light truck or could we just change decks?

gtrb26, Feb 1, 9:22am
Not a lot of paperwork, would need an engineer to sign it off, yes it is possible to add a tip deck to a chassis would come down to $$$ that you want to spend. Simple job but it won't be "inexpensive"

melinda1, Feb 1, 9:26am
okay -thanks. Might be the only option the way things are going

gtrb26, Feb 1, 9:59am
Ok I know of a couple of work shops if you go down that path.

grangies, Feb 1, 6:20pm
melinda1. Another thing to be aware of is you need a Class 2 Drivers License to drive some of those little trucks.

grangies, Feb 1, 6:22pm

melinda1, Feb 1, 8:45pm
ema1 thanks- looking at that but would need to price in the windscreen and tyres. Hubby has disability so can't work but does some firewood and carts gravel for our place. A wee truck would just give him independance from borrowing and he could cover cost with his wood. Going to price a window today and see if it would fit in budget. Thanks grangies- he has all his licences from the days before he got poisoned. Just trying hard to help him get what he wants. Might be the Ashvegas one! Getting sick of sellers not replying to their ads when they have asking prices and then sold when I am on here every day chasing new listings

bjmh, Feb 1, 8:50pm
melinda1 there is a guy locally who has a little truck set up to do firewood,he's talking of selling it. I guess it depends on your budget.

melinda1, Jul 12, 5:56pm
bjmh- looking under 10k if we can as dont want huge $$'s sitting around but obviously can spend more down south thatn up north due to interisland and travel costs to collect. Appreciate the help and comments.