350 chev motor

muffycaz, Jun 14, 7:22am
350 chev boat motor started last week . went to start yesterday flattened batteries which are only 3 months old motor is only had 38hrs running since fully reco. checked spark at distributor where no 1 lead comes off .as cant get to plug because of manifold, checked new holley carb for water in fuel .all good. fuel getting in to inlet manifold. still wont fire.any ideas. cheers grant.

msigg, Jun 14, 7:37am
try some engine start see if it will fire. maybe the damp conditions or manifold taking spark away. condenser/points, check all those things. Back to basics.

muffycaz, Jun 14, 7:47am
tried engine start .has electronic ignition.

stevo2, Jun 14, 8:01am
Did it fire at all?
If fuel is getting into the inlet manifold, the problem is probably electric.
Can you pull a plug and check for a spark?

muffycaz, Jun 14, 8:33am
no didnt fire. tried to remove spark plug, but because of the angle working behind manifold broke plug. now have to travel 60 ks to get new plug to see if spark is getting there. probably have to remove manifold to re fit.so will have install newgaskets .grtting a expensive exercise.

phalanax, Jun 14, 8:47am
The benefits of a coil and dizzy are not to be disregarded . you dont really need the plug to see if its getting spark just pull the rubber back off the lead and hold it close to the block, or jam a screw driver into the lead and hold it close to the block. I had a 355 that was hi comp it used to kill starter motors and batteries used to struggle to turn it over . but put your foot to the floor and it would twist the chasiss. lol

petermcg, Jun 14, 8:47am
Not sure about the type of ignition you have, it sounds like spark, is there either a ballast resister or a condensor in the system,

muffycaz, Jun 14, 9:06am
its a hei distributor, i think it has a condensor, i have a complete spare distributor.

muffycaz, Jun 14, 9:09am
will there still be spark if condensor crook

les6, Jun 14, 10:07am
check the module in the disributor?

gpg58, Jun 14, 11:17am
I couldn't get mine to start once on land, cranked over fine, checked fuel getting to carb, tried start ya bastard spray etc, but nobody home, so gave up. Let batteries charge up overnight, and tried again next day, still nothing, and couldn't see any spark, it was only then that i noticed that the lanyard safety switch was off, felt a right old plonker. But if you have spark i guess that's not your problem.

neville48, Jun 14, 2:02pm
is the starter taking the power away from the electronic ignition. If it goes below a certain level it wont supply spark.

muffycaz, Jun 14, 10:59pm
starter fairly new. on two batteries turns over quick. if module was crook would there be spark ,but not strong enough to fire.

gmphil, Jun 14, 11:19pm
change dizzy cap this will rule out wet, damaged cap and coil if same swap dizzy easy five minute job

elect70, Jun 14, 11:25pm
Didnt accidently get 24 v & fried the module ? anyway swap dissy

les6, Jun 16, 1:33am
muffycaz wrote:
starter fairly new. on two batteries turns over quick. if module was crook would there be spark ,but not strong enough to fire.[/quote
not necessarrilly?they can do a few weird things,the heat apparently plays merry hell with them.does a boat motor run hotter than a car?