GPS + SPEED LIMIT LOCATION WARNING

Page 1 / 2
kenw1, Dec 25, 6:41am
What I am after for a friend is a GPS that can recognise via the maps that they are in a 50 70 whatever limit and sound a bleeper or flash a warning that they are speeding.

I know they have a funny round dial in the dash and red signs on the side of the road, but they are not particularly good at picking these up.

Anyone any ideas please. Thanks.

jazzbass, Dec 25, 6:45am
I thought all car GPS units did that anyway?

kenw1, Dec 25, 6:55am
I do not know, but I am after the best unit I can for this person.

brycer, Dec 25, 7:00am
pretty sure most will do this. You just turn on the warning in the settings. Certainly tomtom and even the free navii does. Be aware that not all maps used are up to date or accurate so it will never be 100%

kenw1, Dec 25, 7:10am
It appears that Garmin are not all capable of audible warnings.

neell, Dec 25, 7:14am
be aware they are not overly accurate

mrcat1, Dec 25, 7:16am
I have one of the latest Navman with free updates and its very accurate with different speed zones.

annies3, Dec 25, 7:17am
Navman does this it is pretty good maybe the alerts are a wee bit early most times, but that is really not a problem.
Merry Christmas !

xs1100, Dec 25, 7:40am
my last speeding tkt involved exactly that outside of gisborne rural area thought we had left 80k zone and gps said 100k zone. cop with radar could hardly contain himself (think he might of had a private moment afterward) so yes would not advise. try a gps and a radar detector

dublo, Dec 25, 7:55am
If you are driving a vehicle, anywhere, you should know what the speed limit is! All of the road signs are there to be observed and understood and acted upon. I hope you wouldn't rely on a GPS unit to tell you that you are approaching a stop sign.

bwg11, Dec 25, 8:20am
My Garmin Nuvi 42 (4 years old and a cheapie) does audible alerts.

tony9, Dec 25, 8:33am
Or simply observe the posted speed limit. The great majority seem to be able to do that just fine. Or are you blind?

gpg58, Dec 25, 8:35am
My 4 year old navman is fine for this, but even with updates done, it can be wrong, especially if limits have changed.
So always look for signs too.
But as signs are often hidden, sometimes by a truck in lane beside, and also lanes opposite, (speed signs are often near intersections),other times by trees etc, or maybe you simply looked elsewhere, like at a idiot driver doing something stupid, So they are well worth their money, for the times they remind you to speed back up( by displaying speed zone and you therefore avoid annoying those behind you) or at times to keep speed down.
But the biggest advantage is displaying your true speed, not the bollocks deliberately fast reading of many modern vehicles(2013 navara says 100, actually doing 90 for example).

kenw1, Dec 25, 8:39am
Well with two tickets in 55 years, I have done pretty well, I am hoping that this will assist the person who it is for to recognise that they drive a bit fast.

xs1100, Dec 25, 8:55am
no my eye sights fine had a complete check not long ago and 20/20 surprised the optician also for my age but there you go. Yourself you might want to go back to school and try reading and comprehension as if you read my statement again you will understand it was in regards to the OPs original request but there you go

xs1100, Dec 25, 8:58am
this is for you tony "thought we had left 80k zone and gps said 100k zone"
it was right there mate 2nd line maybe your eyesight isn't that flash. best you stay down CHCH

butterfly05, Dec 25, 9:31am
Theres always one isn there!?

The vast majority seem to be able to contain their complete tosspot comments to maybe you should try it!

billyfieldman, Dec 25, 9:39am

tub4, Dec 25, 8:40pm
We use Navman in all our vehicles and I'm always using them to check speed limits but not always 100% right. Can't believe how many 110kph areas there are now :)

nightsky1, Dec 25, 9:21pm
but you had a radar detector and you still got busted for speeding.?

How can that be. I thought they "Paid for themselves" 5 minutes after the purchase.

Please explain. Well done on your Govt xmas donation anyway,and how much was it?

mimik3, Dec 25, 9:51pm
Then I suggest that they shouldn't be driving.
Maybe a bus time table would be a better idea.

neell, Dec 25, 10:17pm
I'll answer for them, its obvious they thought they were in a 100kph area so they weren't concerned when the detector sounded. Simple really.

xs1100, Dec 26, 10:12pm
ummm couple things (A) no were did I say it was this xmas so don't know what yr talking about there. (B) didn't have the radar detector at the time but yes do have one now and for the ks I travel a year it has certainly saved me a lot in fines. so there you go now put down the P pipe and have a good xmas

lunar2, Dec 28, 5:01am
Yip use this

macman26, Dec 28, 5:49am
My windows phone has this built in. is as easy as any navman i have used.Beeps if I go over the speed limit for more than a few seconds. Accurate to within 50M. A lot better than my android one I used to use. And I can download the country's maps in one go and update as required.