04 Odyssey - yay or nay?

missmoo4, Aug 5, 10:08am
I test drove an older model Odyssey today and really like it. My parents have generously given me some money towards a newer, safer vehicle and going from the listings on here, it appears the 2004 model is within my budget.
From what I have read the transmission can sometimes be an issue? I saw on a previous thread to check the fluid and make sure the gear changes are ok.
Anything else to watch out for? Hubby is pretty mechanical and we would probably get an AA check but would like to pros and cons.
Thanks

clark20, Aug 5, 10:35am
Take it to Honda, they know them best, and pay for two hours work, wheels off etc, they will tell you what its like.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 5, 6:31pm
I thought the 2004 Odyssey was the new model with the CVT, which is supposedly more reliable?

Someone will hopefully be along shortly to confirm this.

ambo11, Aug 5, 6:53pm
Is it an Absolute model or the L model with CVT? Beautiful cars, the CVT in ours is flawless, but they MUST be serviced using only Honda fluid. The absolute model has the "normal" auto and is 200HP so more powerful.
Cant speak highly enough about our one, has 8 airbags and is incredibly economical for its size, due to the CVT. Can't tow with the CVT model though. Dont know anything about the Absolute model apart from it being more powerful, and would use more fuel than the L model too due to transmission difference.Had ours nearly 2 years and love it, Will be keeping it a lot longer, and then will no doubt get a newer Oddy to replace it. Don't know of any cons to be honest, but get a transmission shop to drive the one you like first for an opinion.

bigfatmat1, Aug 5, 8:08pm
I had the L model 10 airbags, keyless, electric front and rear seats, rainsense wipers, tripple zone a/c. Was a great car no complaints did about 7.1L to 100km on long journeys heaps of room with all seats folded flat. the downfall is so many different spec levels trim colours and radio layouts. I did not replace it because I could not find another that I liked that had all the extras my one had. 5 star safety as well

kazbanz, Aug 5, 8:22pm
Missmoo-there are several variations with the Odditty.To begin with you do need to know which model exactly it is.
From there you need to do FULL due diligence.
If its an import you need to see the compliance sheet -see what work was needed to get a compliance pass.
Second--Take the car to HONDA and get a full PP inspection.
I have to say that personally Im not a fan boy of them -but that's because I genuinely feel there are better vehicles out there for the various different jobs the car needs to perform.

missmoo4, Aug 6, 8:08am
No idea about model, not looking at a specific car just yet but just really liked the older model I test drove so thought I'd be keen on a newer one. hubby just informed me he doesn't want a newer car with a computer because he doesn't trust them. i don't get much of a say LOL

kazbanz, Aug 6, 8:21am
Missmoo-Nearly every car built in this century has at least one computer.
Um now -you drove an older Odyssey.-By "older" do you mean 2003 or older which is the old shape or do you mean 2004 and newer you drove.
Reason I ask is that the 2003 and older odyssey is a totally different vehicle to the 2003 and newer version (03 is the changeover year)
The reason people have asked "which one" is that the different spec in the 04 odyssey changes how they feel to drive

thejazzpianoma, Aug 6, 8:26am
So. what are you going to drive that doesn't have a computer?

Can't really think of anything much made in the last 25 years that doesn't have one. Not meaning to be smart, but that boat has realistically sailed.

There are other more important factors to consider if reliability is what you want. It's very easy to get sucked in to generalisations and wives tales, but the reality isn't that simple/easy.

Also, for what it's worth, as someone who regularly works on old and new vehicles. The newer ones are actually much eaiser to diagnose faults on because the diagnostics systems have become much more standardised and far more comprehensive.

Where in past on a 1990's vehicle I might have to dig my way in to a hard to access part to test it. I can have it's information straight to my fingertips on a newer one. Even things like the little motors that turn heater vents on can be tested straight from the scan tool on the better modern brands/models.

Newer also means less wear on parts and in some cases better quality waterproofing of wiring etc.

westwyn, Aug 6, 9:39am
The Absolute with the 5-speed auto develops 147kw, compared to the M, S and L-specs with the CVT and the 118kW engine. You can check which model you are looking at (if you're not certain) by looking at the blue "build plate" which is a small stamped silver-on-blue metal "tag" approx. 10cm by 3cm in the engine bay (usually near the front suspension section on the car's left side under the bonnet), it will have the "type" stamped on there "M" or "S" etc.

While it CAN be useful to check the compliance sheet (that's the NZ-entry initial inspection / standards approval / extended WOF performed when a car first arrives) it's not a must either- since 95% of all dealers won't have it, for a variety of reasons, mostly because either they're not the importer of the vehicle (and not part of the compliance process) or they don't get that paperwork from the compliance shop (which most don't, since it's of little relevance once the car ha passed- a WOF is a WOF, irrespective of what it needed to pass). It simply isn't relevant enough.

What you must do- as Kazbanz has said- is get a pre-purchase inspection performed on the vehicle you choose, BEFORE you agree to buy it. It really is an important part of the process of buying a car.

If a dealer or vendor doesn't agree to you having it inspected, walk away. There's a reason why!

Have fun shopping- there are plenty of Odysseys out there to choose from, and they're pretty affordable buying these days!

tgray, Aug 6, 7:24pm
Really? Wouldn't a full inspection at Honda suffice?

kazbanz, Aug 6, 8:28pm
Cost of compliance sheet=0
Cost of PP inspection -$100-$300
MOST dealers WILL be able to produce the auction and compliance sheet if specifically asked to.-The proviso on that comment is that the vehicle is a fresh import.

missmoo4, Aug 6, 11:30pm
By older I mean it was a 94 that I test drove.
Hubby is an older car aficionado. He would ideally only drive his 1950s Land Rover if he could but it is dead or dying more often than not lol. Instead, he mostly drives his 2000(?) Land Rover. I know nothing about cars and even less about computers in cars. All I know is that hubby doesn't trust them. Probably because he doesn't have the gear to read computers and he likes to do most of our mechanical work himself. I currently drive a very basic 2001 Hyundai that has wind down windows!
Thanks for the help anyway, I know more about the models now and how to find out what they are! Also the compliance sheet if available. I will also find out if we have a Honda dealer here in this hick town to do a pp inspection.

kazbanz, Nov 9, 10:25am
Missmoo--Ok if you liked the 94 Oddyssey then I can tell you for definite the 2004 version is a TOTALLY different vehicle.-Quite literally the only thing they share with the car you drove is the name.
If That shape you like then a modern equivilant is the Toyota Ipsum (2001 and newer)
Two other alternatives are the Nissan Presage 2003-2008 or the Mazda MPV 2004 and newer.
Don't get me wrong-the new odyssey is a nice vehicle--but nowhere near room the old odyssey has.