Car.knocking sound.

Page 1 / 2
chikbiskuit, Mar 31, 6:57am
my husband is away working otherwise I would ask his (not very mechanical minded) opinion!

My car has started making a 'knocking' sound under the bonnet ONLY when its in reverse. any ideas? I dont want to take it to the dealer if its only something reasonably minor - but, if its potentially something serious then obviously it needs attention.

skin1235, Mar 31, 7:46am
risky coming here to ask too. could be anything from the cats still stuck in the fan to top engine mount is munted, to loose driveshaft bolts to loose wheel nuts, could be the battery charger he left on the top of the engine is now jammed down the firewall, the air cleaner cover has fall en off, the kids coke cans under the seat rattling when in reverse, etc

jmma, Mar 31, 7:48am
Any Idea what make and model the car is. Auto or manual?

mechnificent, Mar 31, 7:55am
Dirt road ?

Rock jammed in an engine mount somewhere.

mechnificent, Mar 31, 7:55am
That would be the engine mount underneath and at the back of course.

chikbiskuit, Mar 31, 8:07am
Auto Volvo XC60 - never been off road in its life!

Noise is Definitely under the bonnet! And ONLY when it's in reverse.

mechnificent, Mar 31, 8:11am
Is it a regular clunk, clunk, clunk, that is directly related to the speed, and/or the load ? Is it louder under load ?

Is it an irregular, clunk, quiet, clunk clunk, quiet, clunk. and differing loundess perhaps?

chikbiskuit, Mar 31, 8:22am
Regular, doesn't matter if ithe car is moving or not - ie if it's in reverse but stationary it still clunk clunks!

mechnificent, Mar 31, 8:24am
Crikey. That's tricky !

mechnificent, Mar 31, 8:25am
So french aye.

mechnificent, Mar 31, 8:26am
Do you think that it could be going to.

Explode ?

mechnificent, Mar 31, 8:31am
It could well be an engine mount, straining when it's in gear and causeing a knock. You could ask someone to sit in the car and put it in gear, with the brakes on of course, and with you standing to the side of the car, not in front, and you could carefully look and see if you can tell by listening, where the noise is coming from. There are several rubber bush thingies that hold the motor up and from moving. check them.

It could also be the exhaust hitting somewhere. check that.

Anything like the aircleaner falling off. put it back on. Battery fallen down. put it back in it's place.

extrayda, Mar 31, 8:38am
Torque converter?

mugenb20b, Mar 31, 8:42am
Has the car had any recent work done to it?

tamarillo, Mar 31, 7:03pm
Get it seen. It isn't any obvious easy thing. Seriously there are too many things it could be, and yes it could be serious and internal to box and better it's not driven further, so check it I think.
The only when in reverse even if idling is what would worry me.

tamarillo, Mar 31, 7:03pm
Eh? French?

afer_daily, Mar 31, 7:10pm
could be opertunity / telling you to get a new car . no much help i know ,, but it is a volvo

chikbiskuit, Apr 1, 12:09am
It was in getting its regular service about a month ago - this started about 2 weeks later so unsure if connected or not.

jokerboss, Apr 1, 1:07am
somethings not connected alright

kazbanz, Apr 1, 1:12am
You are going tom get a whole bunch of opinions as to the cause.
YOU don't know if its major.
Therefore count on it being major and take the car back to the mechanic.
if its something minor -sigh with relief
If its major--well then it has to be dealt with
BUT MUCH more importantly is if its a minor thing that by neglect could turn major.
So please take it in and get it fixed

mechnificent, Apr 1, 1:20am
Ha yeah. I only realised just now as I was rereading.
Euro's what I meant.

funkydunky, Apr 1, 2:38am
Does it have a 'Baby on Board' thing in the back window?

poppy62, Apr 1, 3:00am
Have another go Mech. Volvo maybe the name on the badge but owned by Geely Automobile and made in China.

chikbiskuit, Apr 1, 3:58am
I rang the local dealer today - its going in on Thursday to get seen. Every time they pop the bonnet its about $400 - hope its nothing too serious! Car is only a year old, surely its nothing too major!

mechnificent, Apr 1, 4:11am
ha. Ok.
So. why's it knocking then.