Car.knocking sound.

Page 2 / 2
mechnificent, Apr 1, 4:13am
When you pit it in gear the motor leans over. if something is too close it will knock in reverse but not forwards when it leans the other direction.

You should look for anything under the bonnet that is hanging shaking around when it's idling. It might be the dip stick poking out. and you could and should fix that.

mopeds, Apr 1, 4:21am
Does it happen when the engine is cold?

kazbanz, Apr 1, 4:30am
of course you ARE doing due diligence and not driving the vehicle until its fixed aren't you?

chikbiskuit, Apr 1, 5:24am
Wont be driving anywhere except to the mechanic on Thurs!

Yes, it does it cold - we need to back out of our drive & it does it as soon as it goes in reverse it knocks. & when its warmed up also.

skin1235, Apr 1, 6:29am
I would ask that once you know what it was you come back and tell us, personally I'd suspect an engine cover has shifted and is now touching where before it wasn't, but as others have said it could be something small right now and grow into something bigger later, either way I'd love to know what it was

poppy62, Apr 1, 6:45am
I picking it's a rear driveshaft mount that's loose. The quality (Chinese) of rubber that's being used in mounts is very poor and I wouldn't rule out a stuffed mount.

skin1235, Apr 1, 7:06am
a question, is this the hybrid model?, how do you find it for economy, power, recharge time ( if any )
would be interested in any comments you'd care to make

chikbiskuit, Apr 1, 7:49am
No, it's not hybrid.
We converted to this from a Audi Q7 - my husband found it to be much more comfortable (he has a horrendous bad back) - not only was it much cheaper to buy outright, we both find it more comfortable (as mentioned above), more powerful, more economical, quieter & it has more room.
We test drove all the SUV's (comfort was a huge factor due to my husbands injury - in the Audi if we did a long trip, he could hardly walk at the end of it. ) - there was several that I loved, but this was my husbands preferred - it had loads of pluses in his books.

skin1235, Apr 1, 8:03am
thats fine, thanks for the feed back, now all we need is for the mech to find the simple cure for the issue
- and I'll bet its not too serious
good to know there are vehicles that don't cripple you after a longish drive - theres a lot of people with bad backs, I cannot drive most jap cars ( or utes)for that same reason

tamarillo, Apr 1, 8:45am
That's not quite right. The Xc60 has always been made in Europe, and was Being made way before the Chinese bought the company. They still make cars in Europe.
Yours,
Today's pedant.

tamarillo, Apr 1, 8:51am
My brother has just ordered one and is converting from a three year old LR discovery. Like you he found it so comfortable, though he wanted the R design package but not the bigger wheels (for ride quality, bad back!) and they wanted to charge him to change back to standard smaller wheels!
Like you he was impressed, and only ever buys European cars. He cares not that Volvo is now owned by Chinese, it's a euro designed and made car.

chikbiskuit, Apr 2, 11:22pm
my car is fixed! They didn't actually tell me what the fault was BUT I dropped it off this morning at about 9.30 - & they rang at 10.15 to say it was all ready to go!

So sorry peeps - am none the wiser, but its fixed - hoorah!

lugee, Apr 2, 11:46pm
Surely the invoice will some details of the work done.

pandai, Apr 3, 12:53am
Car is under a year old - no invoice for warranty work

darryl, Apr 3, 1:23am
They found the screwdriver the last mechanic lost in your engine bay.

LoL

poppy62, Apr 3, 3:47am
Mr Pedant! out of the 6 assembly plants 3 are in China and 1 in Malaysia. I'm sure that the Asia /Pacific market is supplied by these plants. BTW I am a Volvo aficionado myself and know the cars well.

chikbiskuit, Apr 3, 4:17am
yeah, no charge/invoice for this job.

Possibly a screwdriver - who knows!

len_f, Apr 7, 3:16am
Hi possibly gearbox mount

joanie04, Apr 7, 5:39am
Under warranty or not I would have asked what the problem was.

lusty9, Mar 24, 11:16am
its saying get rid of me quickly. My neighbors car did just that, I suggested she go to the dealers and trade it in, after checking her car over and taking it for a ride, not using reverse I might add, they gave her $3k for it, she drove away in a nice people mover for $11k from a $3k trade in she purchased for $1500.00 4yrs ago.