Xa falcon, pbr vs girlock

xacoon, Aug 7, 8:29am
Are the girlock callipers a direct bolt on, interchangeable with the pbr set up? is there any advantage to either brand aide from the obvious pad size difference?

wilco420, Aug 7, 9:12am
Yes interchangeable. No real advantage to either.

dave653, Aug 10, 5:24am
Go for the bigger pad area. I was about to fit Girlock to my um, non fraud, when I noticed the quite large difference in pad size. Left the PBRs in there!

sr2, Aug 10, 8:43am
It's a little more complicated than simply more pad area being better, brake combinations are always a compromise between pad compound & area, piston displacement, rotor design, etc.

morrisman1, Aug 10, 9:35am
And here I was thinking that it was red calipers that stopped better.

sr2, Aug 10, 10:10am
LOL; in my experience red always stops better, particularly if it has Brembo or AP written on it and makes the sponsor's eyes water when they write out the cheque!

bjmh, Aug 11, 3:32am
OP one of the biggest things that I've found affecting poor performance in Falcon brakes is the vacuum hose to the booster.Where the hose goes on the manifold fitting,the hose gets hard over the years and constricts on the inside.I have replaced some that only had a very small hole left for vacuum.It makes a helluva difference to the performance of the booster.

xacoon, Sep 3, 7:35pm
Had forgotten about this thread. Brakes still work well, Just found some of these callipers in the shed the other day, and wondered if I would be better doing these up over the pbrs. I have the larger drums from a ute rebuilt to go on the rear.