'95 Corolla losing coolant.

robotnik, Jan 24, 8:45am
I'm having to add about 300ml of coolant every other day to my '95 1.3L Corolla hatch. Took it to my mechanic who pressure tested it but he found no leaks. I bought a teekay hydro carbon tester from Repco to see if it had head gasket issues, but that test was negative also.

Where is my coolant going? Is it a case of the mechanic needing to do a more thorough test for leaks?

The car has done 180,000kms and is a manual. Seems in good condition and is not burning oil. It would never need topping up with coolant until recently.

pettal, Jan 24, 8:49am
Go buy a new radiator cap ,, also check the expansion tank for leaks , cracks and ill fitting lid/cap etc .

quickbuck, Jan 24, 8:50am
Wondering if it is as simple as your Radiator Cap isn't holding the correct pressure anymore. Not sure of the procedure of the pressure check your mechanic did, but that is where I would start, followed quickly by ensuring I have a 50/50 mix of Coolant to water.

jmma, Jan 24, 8:57am
Surely you jest, a Toyota with problems, never heard of it (o:
Just in case, I would be tempted to replace the radiator cap, rubber seal may be a little perished.

robotnik, Jan 24, 9:00am
Hmmm the old radiator cap was looking a bit coroded a few months ago, so I bought a new one from Repco. Perhaps the new one is faulty? Might try and clean up the old one and put it back.

gmphil, Jan 24, 9:08am
have u always run antifreeze ? may pay to pull thermostat in check it opening !

robotnik, Jan 24, 9:23am
Yeah, this car has gotten regular coolant changes in the 10 years I have had it.

msigg, Jan 24, 7:45pm
Only fill the overflow bottle up to the top mark(expansion), otherwise you need check underneath every time you go out to see if there is a wet patch on the ground., any condensation out the pipe? I know you have done the test.Just lots of observations for you to do. All the best.

ceebee2, Jan 24, 9:23pm
? Leaking water pump. sometimes a pressure test won't show until hot.
If that isn't the prob put a teaspoon of black powdered pepper in it.
If the header tank is dropping usually an internal leak. If the header tank stays full but radiator draws down is an exernal leak.

kazbanz, Jan 24, 9:57pm
have you tried the old -park on newspapers trick.
If you are running antifreeze the area the fluid is dripping from will be as clear as a bell

intrade, Jan 25, 6:55am
so did you buy a new correct radiator cap?

franc123, Jan 25, 7:22am
If theres no obvious external leak get it pressure tested overnight after getting it warm and then removing the spark plugs, the presence of any coolant down the plug holes the following day will tell you what you need to know. Looking through the holes at the piston crowns may even reveal a suspiciously clean piston. 2E engines are well known for sneaky head gasket leaks due to age and the fact there is little sealing area between the coolant passages and cylinder/chamber in the block and heads respectively. It may of course also show itself as a too steamy exhaust or a rough idle straight after startup.

andrewph, Feb 3, 10:02am
Try looking into the top of the radiator with the cap off. Check the condition of the area the cap seats against. It may be erroding away a little causing the cap to loose pressure and dumping water into the recovery tank.

ema1, Feb 3, 12:03pm
Does it have seepage via the heater core or other heater components?

poppy62, Jul 9, 12:55pm
Second one in as many days with cooling problems. Is that perspiration on your brow when you're out in the Toy/C? Might be a good time to upgrade, there are a couple of Multiplas for sale currently "Great Vehicles" look good in Porirua too.