Mega paint & panel shops.

attitudedesignz, Jul 10, 3:49am
Will we ever get them here?

There are some BIG shops opening in oz by the likes of Gemini and RPM.

Biggest i've seen was the Manheim-fowles shop in Manakau which had 2 x 3 car booths (yes, that is 2 booths that could fit 3 cars each)

This is the newest Gemini shop to open in oz, it can repair 190 repairs per week, 38 per day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V12BcAGju8s

beno, Jul 10, 4:30am
they only have 5 cars in it. wont be in business very long at that rate. If the insurance companies continue to build their own shops here, like the AA have done in penrose , they could in theory happen here too. It would be a nail in the cofffin for local panel and paint shops tho. I'm glad i managed to get out of the industry several years ago. cos it sure stinks now!

lookoutas, Jul 10, 5:53am
When has it not stunk beno?

tub4, Jul 10, 6:02am
Theres a shop in Napier with 2 car booths & a truck booth, I think is an IAG Gold shop.
When I visited last year they were balls out busy

serf407, Jul 10, 9:31am
What is the average age of the Aussie car fleet?
Is there a big yard or building next to the repair shop to store the 'repair in process' vehicles while they are waiting for parts/ panels to arrive or delayed on back order etc?
Most will be minor repairs only? Heavier damage tends to get written off and scrapped/ parted out?

trogedon, Jul 10, 9:14pm
Why have a booth that can take more than one car? Won't there be overspray issues?

attitudedesignz, Jul 10, 10:01pm
Not in a good modern downdraft booth.
I have painted 5 different coloured bumpers in one booth.
Just paint one, go out and change paint cup and paint another. Them when they're all coloured you can clear the lot in one session.

intrade, Jul 10, 10:13pm
the way things go with the technology google abrn magazin and have a wee read about what new cars are constructed off and how difficult it is to fix. i was at automechanica frankfurt and only walked thru the penal place but stopped at one booth where the laser mesurment machine was demonstrated to take 100s of mesurments on the front of the car as it all has to be rebuilt to factory so the metals crumble within the same factory made millisecounds to pop the airbags in the right time.
So either there only will be big outfits in future and all small ones forec out of business or any car with a dent will be scrapped as its unsave and you must buy a new car. or there will be just some small outfits whom have to charge a fortune as it cost so much to have all these equipment and training= any car older with a dent will be scrapped and owners forecd to buy new cars,,,, insert john key here rubbing hands.

gammelvind, Jul 10, 10:53pm
You upgraded your booth at home Tude?

attitudedesignz, Feb 24, 8:26am
I wish mate. Still the melamine lining from the milking shed, white paint on the concrete and a couple of fluros in the single car garage.