Ford Focus 2006

frank1, Jul 12, 8:02am
Anything to be wary of on these,know liitle about them.
Its a 1600cc auto.
Looking for a car for my daughter,her 96 Pulsar is becoming a little tired (body wise}

intrade, Jul 12, 8:31am
96 cars will be bullet proof compaired to a 2006 car. you spend at least 1000$ in servicing each year on modern cars or you will find out how quick the crap them selfs its not like oil and filter changes like it was on that 96 pulsar. and yea i dont matter what make nissan toyota ford vw all of the modern stuff goes pooof if not serviced with components exchanged for new parts before they fail.

frank1, Jul 12, 8:39am
OK thanks intrade,but doesn't answer my question,and yes I do service the Pulsar anyway.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 12, 9:07am
They are a good car spoiled by a truly horrible 4 speed auto. The later ones are great with the superior transmission though.

If buying an auto car, I wouldn't buy one. Trouble is too, you may not realise just how mongrel that transmission is until you buy it and get it out on some hills.

I think you can do a LOT better.

tom-tk, Jul 12, 9:38am
I have a 2006 focus, although a 2 litre manual.
Car has done 235,000 km with no problems at all. Just the standard consumables being replaced as needed.

I do my own services although annual services from ford garages were only a couple of hundred dollars.

Parts are easy to get, branded or otherwise. Parts are also available from most wreckers.

The focus is a solid, well built car that handles well. It also has much better safety features than the 96 pulsar (its 10 years newer)

frank1, Jul 12, 9:38am
OK thanks jazz--will keep looking,and tell my daughter,trouble is she can only drive autos and looks only at car appearance--silly girl should have got a licence with a manual car anyway-tried to tell her,but hey what would I know!

johnn, Jul 12, 10:11am
My 2007 Focus now leaks badly when it rains, leaks so much that the passengers side floor front & back is always soaking, I have found the water comes from up under the dash but no matter what I do I can't stop it (have even silicone sealed along the bottom of the windscreen). I have googled & seems it is a very common problem with the Focus :(. Never been a fan of Ford, never will be I guess.

brapbrap8, Jul 12, 10:29am
Might be around the aircon hoses and stuff going through the firewall.
That's where it was on my one, although it took a few goes to get all the leaks.

frank1, Jul 13, 5:36am
Jazz--what an ugly car.she hates it,must admit so do I,might just import a car from Japan.

intrade, Jul 13, 6:40am
got a windscreen replaced by smith and smiss?

johnn, Jul 13, 7:32am
Windscreen not replaced but leak started after the car was serviced by the local Ford dealership in Feb, a few strange things have happened since that service (like I had to take it back because the brakes had air in them) & for some reason they removed the interior light & now it won't go back in.The older model Focus has the pollen filter accessable from front of firewall & that caused leaks (when Ford dealers broke the enclosure) but 2006 model have filter inside the car, its just an ongoing pain having water leaking in.

intrade, Jul 13, 7:45am
i would say its leaking from the windscreen i also recon you should find another for dealer as no professional shop sends out a car with air in brakes.

intrade, Jul 13, 7:48am
johnn make your own thread and post what you have done and post some photos etc iforce has picture uplading
http://www.iforce.co.nz/

madaboutimps, Jul 13, 7:54am
If it's a run around you are after you could buy my 96 mirage tiptronic, reliable as, it's on here for sale 700 bucks

mimik3, Jul 13, 9:06am
You talk a lot of shite.
If you serviced the car twice a year at a Ford Dealer it might cost you $600. But at that age you would get a reputable company do do service the car and it might cost $400 for 2 services in a year.

Yes the Auto's are not the best, but they do the job. Less problems than a DSG.

greeny, Jul 13, 9:22am
Makes note not to take car to intrade instead use Nissan Dealer at $250 per year save $750

intrade, Jul 13, 9:54pm
so it did water ingress after a service and you did not change the windscreen,, maybe the shop damaged your windscreen and had it replaced cheap as possibly? cheap jobs have been knowen to let water in instantly when not enough goop was used. i know of noumerous people with windscreen leakage from all sorts of professional installer places. one place even had to buy my client a new windscreen wiper assembly, because they did not tighten the wipers and the cog was stripped. called manager told him repair correct or i will take it to court. new item was ordered quick smart by professional windscreen installer place after he mentioned court.

pandai, Feb 10, 5:12pm
Pull off the scuttle trim, the drains underneath might be clogged with bits of rotting leaves and crap. It would be leaking through your HVAC unit.