What's the most overrated car in your opinion?

Page 1 / 2
billyfieldman, Dec 15, 10:45pm
Just thought it might be interesting to contrast with "underrated cars".

supernova2, Dec 15, 10:47pm
Mustang

bjmh, Dec 15, 10:50pm
anything with a lexus badge

sw20, Dec 15, 10:56pm
Delorean.

monaro17, Dec 15, 11:03pm
Some models of land cruiser. And all prados

mals69, Dec 15, 11:45pm
Mazda 3 - feels like a very looooonggggg trip on open road.

tamarillo, Dec 15, 11:50pm
Old- VW beetle. Until it got a kombi body it was a useless nasty thing.
New - Toyota . Well all of them except the gt86.

richardmayes, Dec 15, 11:52pm
I've been hearing fanbois on here talk about the "neck-snapping acceleration" of their 6 cylinder aussie cars for years.

I drive a coon now and have to report that my neck has not yet snapped. Not sure whether or not to be disappointed.

vtecintegra, Dec 15, 11:53pm
Modern VW Golf

trogedon, Dec 16, 12:12am
To be expected.

tgray, Dec 16, 12:43am
Yep, even the new one.

djrandomguy, Dec 16, 12:52am
Altezza.

brapbrap8, Dec 16, 1:26am
Agreed, all Toyota 4x4s are rubbish now, except for the 70 Series which is a very niche product.
The Prado was a good wagon back in the 90's and early 2000's, ours is an 04 and it was good at the time but the new ones are disappointing.
Last review I read for the new Prado said that Toyota should just give up and make it a 2wd school run special already, because it is just rubbish compared to everything else on the market now.
New Hilux is not much better, under engineered and way too soft and expensive now and the competition has moved on and got much better and cheaper.

melonhead1, Dec 16, 2:55am
Anything with an rb engine.

saxman99, Dec 16, 3:24am
Corolla.

brapbrap8, Dec 16, 3:31am
That's a pretty big call!
The issue with RBs tends to be the munters who drive and modify them these days.

jumpingstone, Dec 16, 3:47am
Holden Torana

richardmayes, Dec 16, 3:48am
The Toyota tax in general maybe, but the current shape Corolla is a great little car, VASTLY better handling than the previous model, I reckon in 15-20 years time it will be THE chassis that young guys will be converting to manual and putting bigger engines in.

richardmayes, Dec 16, 4:43am
Seconded - Have been in a couple of Beetles (1302 and 1303) and I've never seen a car that generates so much noise as a by-product of so little power.
And there are cars with 4 and 5 litre engines up front that have a lower dashboard, with a better view out the front, than the beetle that has next to nothing in front of you.

I assume most of the hype comes from people who don't own or have to drive / maintain one, who think they look cute?

gram, Dec 16, 5:10am
I'm surprised to see that comment.

socram, Dec 16, 5:19am
Agree. First time I drove one, lost the back end at the second corner! Put it down to maybe a damp patch of road in the wilds of north Yorkshire.

When it did it on the next corner, I learned very quickly to slide a VW! I realised then it was a total death trap, especially compared to a Mini. Sadly, the lady who owned it was killed in it a year or so later in a head on with a Morris Minor. Ironically, she had gone from a tatty Moggie Convertible to the Beetle.

jkm, Dec 16, 5:37am
Actually I think it was only one fanboy who was always trumpeting his holden chariot. I think the Aussie 6s were more about lazy power. The Aussie stuff did not have the features of the japanese vehicles but compared to the English cars of the day were generally a better option.
I am talking Morris Marrina and Vauxhall Viva.

r.g.nixon, Dec 16, 7:46am
Suzuki Swift

timbo69, Dec 16, 7:54am
new rangers, Toyota's in general

tamarillo, Dec 16, 8:05am
I had a few rear engined renaults that were beautufully engineered compared with these horrible things!