Riding a scooter , at what size cc amount do you

onzy, Apr 23, 11:36pm
need a motorbike license instead of a car drivers license?
Thanks, just asking for my son who has just sat his written part of driving license test for driving a car.
Wondering about the rules for a scooter.
Thanks.

brapbrap8, Apr 23, 11:40pm
50cc I think

motorboy2011, Apr 24, 12:13am
If it's reg as Moped, you can ride on any car licence. If it's reg as a motorbike (has wof), you need a learners motorbike license

mrfxit, Apr 24, 8:14am
49cc for car license & no wof + limited to 50kph
50cc for wof & motorbike license + no speed limit apart from posted limits.

Seriously . . . yes

kazbanz, Apr 24, 8:14pm
IN THEORY the scooter must be registered as a moped. That soposedly ensures its under 50cc.
Unfortunately there were a bunch of mini choppers and scooters came in from china with up to 150cc engines that were registered as mopeds.
So if its for your son then I'd just doble check the actual engine size if its from china

inkapuka, Apr 24, 11:55pm
Had a 06 Suzi 2 stroke 50cc with a racing exhaust in it and better air intake it did 80kph but I only had learners never had to get a wof or anything. only went over 60 if on open road lol. was a quick little thing these were the days when I felt like a rebel and would never get caught. I never did but crashed it on a gravel road and it fell down a cliff and destroyed it I was un hurt but scooter dead. That was 8 years ago haha.

tamarillo, Feb 25, 9:04pm
50cc but have you seen the new Yamaha tricity with two front wheels for stability and grip? 125 so just does motorway and due to crazy old NZ laws it's a car so cheap rego and no bike license needed. $4500 new.