Corolla has a flat spot on acceleration. What?

express, Jan 25, 9:45am
Had been unused for two years. 4age, 20 valve. Still goes like the clappers when it gets past the flat spot. Oh and sometimes runs well for no reason. Using 98 octane.

snoopy221, Jan 25, 9:49am
We await the rest we the great unwashed
understand flat spots.
and accelleration.
However as to tvis throttle body and injected
or carburetted

?

snoopy221, Jan 25, 9:51am
Incidentally sitting 2 years stale fuel goosed spark plugs.
presume these potential issues have been sorted as they are provided.

express, Jan 25, 6:21pm
The 4age mtr has a throttle body, injected, I could do an old Cortina tune O.K but today cars that have ecu,s. Don't know what tvis is. I am just one of the unwashed so please excuse my ignorance. Thanks.

express, Jan 25, 6:23pm
Oh! and now just finishing the second full tank of fresh petrol. Iridium plugs O.K as well.

intrade, Jan 25, 7:01pm
well my money is on something is sticking , and the throttle body is a item that can cause these symptoms
so depends if you want to learn things or just try loads of things ansd see if it fixd it or not like 98% of diy people on the planet
if you want to be a 98% buy a throttle body spray and see if cleaning it fixes it. if you want to be a 2%er you will need to buy diagnostic leads for your car. There is not to much you can get diagnostic wise out of these old cars There was a guy who sold toyota lead and software for 50$ on here once i thnk he made both him self the lead and software
also you would need to buy a usb oszilloscope or a handheld one as you will need to backprobe the throttle body and graph it with a scope to see if the potentiometer inside there are worn out and have dead spots causing your flatspot or not.

petal_91, Jan 25, 7:37pm
Try some injector cleaner in the fuel tank.

intrade, Jan 25, 8:23pm
there was a guy who sold the software and cable for 50$ on here and it would be this software you can see throttle position on software verry crude data on older system with limmited use for diagnostic but when you want to learn things you would want to learn how it uses the data. as its all the same its still the same engine as 100 years ago just different ways of controlling how air and fuel enters since electronics took over.
http://toyota.kgbconsulting.ca/wiki/OBD-1_Serial_Interface
good old russians always have a fix , used to be the hammer and now its software they write ;)
anyhow thats what it looks like and the pids you get from that oem level diagnostic , real crude as the manufacturers back then told meachnics to just swap parts to fix cars but they also function almost the same as a 2010 toyota differenxe is more crap on the later models some crap helps in more easy diagnbostic some helps to mislead you down a wrong path also with more electronic crap as there is multiple sensors causing the same symptoms , that wont be the case on this old obd1 system

express, Jan 25, 8:29pm
I did put some petrol additive in the fuel with the first tank that was supposed to clean, and absorb water.
There was a quarter of a tank of petrol in when I got it going again. Intrade, would petal be right then? I did spray CRC around the cables and linkages.

intrade, Jan 25, 8:34pm
no he wont be right for your problem that wont fix hisitation.
its a good idea however it does clean the intake valves and possibly clean gum out of the fueling system hisitation is most likely caused by the throttle information if the hisitation is only at take off.
so i have a job to do later-

express, Jan 25, 8:39pm
It does'nt happen all the time. Sometimes it drives sweet as. Just happens alot which is annoying.

hrt, Jan 25, 8:42pm
20 valve should have 4 throttle bodies, and they generally don't give issues. If it's a Silvertop then the ECUs can go bad on them and give hesitation issues intermittently like this. Silvertop will also have an airflow meter which could be giving issues, though not usually a problem. Blacktop will have a MAP sensor instead.

What age is the car and which 20V (silver or black)?

petal_91, Jan 25, 8:44pm
Something like this might be good. A fuel system cleaner. http://www.nulon.co.nz/products/Fuel_Treatments/Total_Fuel_System_Cleaner/#.VMVVQrkf7iE

express, Jan 25, 8:45pm
Its a 97 and has a black top. Yes 4 throttle bodies. Very quick for a 1600cc.

sw20, Jan 25, 8:48pm
I thought all 20 valve 4AGE's had a flat spot from 1rpm to 8000rpm?

hrt, Jan 25, 8:50pm
6k, then it smooths out :P

intrade, Jan 25, 9:23pm
got some time while rosstech is doing a full system scan befor i diconnect the battery or any sensors .
So just te be sure as i dont have time to waste your not talking about turbo lag?

towelynz, Jan 25, 9:41pm
Faulty knock sensor? It would pull timing out and make the engine "flat". Would explain why it doesn't always do it too.

express, Jan 25, 10:44pm
No turbo.

andrewph, Jan 25, 11:03pm
Connect Te1 to E1 in the diagnosis box in the left hand side of the engine bay and check the engine check light for codes.

kazbanz, Jul 23, 7:41am
If it was me I'd half fill the tank with fresh fuel run a cleaner through the injection system -get it hot and drive it.
It may well be just a bit clogged up from standing