Fake towbar or false towbar

helen490, Jun 7, 2:26am
anyone heard of this?

intrade, Jun 7, 2:30am
by whom ? cops?

kazbanz, Jun 7, 2:32am
why on earth would anyone put a fake towbar on a car.
The only thing I can think of is that its a low weight rated towbar with no wiring

helen490, Jun 7, 2:34am
to carry bikes

helen490, Jun 7, 2:35am
so dont need any wiring

grangies, Jun 7, 2:35am
How can a tow bar be fake?

If it's there it's there.

intrade, Jun 7, 2:35am
na it becommes legal or illegal with the tow ball for wof

grangies, Jun 7, 2:37am
For the difference in price, why not get a fully functional tow bar fitted? \

What type of vehicle do you have?

a.woodrow, Jun 7, 2:41am
Think just the tongue, usually held on with just 2 or 4 bolts in the middle. Usually for people who want to put bikes on but unable to fit a normal size towbar.

I saw one on a yaris once, the next owner had tried to carry a load of coal on it not realising. Made quite a mess of the back of the car

a.woodrow, Jun 7, 2:43am

brapbrap8, Jun 7, 3:13am
Do you mean a towbar without wiring is illegal for a WOF?
I was thinking a towbar would be handy on my car for a bike rack as well, and not ever for towing so I was wondering if you can just get a towbar with no wiring, as the wiring could be the expensive part on a new car like mine.

intrade, Jun 7, 3:29am
No i mean if you fit a towball to what ever contraption it must meet the towbar standard , if there is no tow ball fitted the same thing will pass the wof. wiring only gets to be a nightmare if you have stability controll.
the car needs to know when a trailer is on the back so it can act accordingly chip must be fitted and wired correctly in to the system if you have no stabilty controll then a wiring is easy fitted .

ianab, Jun 7, 3:40am
If you got something made up by an engineering shop, that was obviously a bike or luggage rack (no tow ball etc) then it's probably legal. If it looks like a tow ball, then it has to be strong enough to act like one, and have the light fittings etc.

brapbrap8, Jun 7, 3:42am
Thanks, I would get a proper towbar installed as bike racks can get relatively heavy and have a lot of torque applied over bumps.
Yes my car has stability control and everything else so thats why I think it would be expensive to have the wiring done and I wouldn't need wiring as I have plenty of better tow vehicles to use.

seadubya, Jun 7, 3:48am
I think as long as it doesn't have a 1&7/8" or 50mm ball then you would be fine for wofs as it wouldn't be possible to put a trailer on. A tow bar with a hitch that only accepted your bike rack for example. You only get into issues when someone else could mistake it for a towball. A removable tongue style bar with the tongue welded onto a bike rack would be ideal.

bigfatmat1, Jun 7, 4:39am
there is no standard unless you have a cof. The only thing for a wof is bolts must be tight and it cant be rusted through or broken

brapbrap8, Jun 7, 5:44am
Thanks, I'm sure I have even seen bike racks that are actually built off a removable tongue, rather than attaching to a towball which is where some people get it wrong and don't tighten them up enough- sometimes with disastrous results.

tamarillo, Jun 7, 9:11am
Have one of those bike racks Kaz mentioned, works but hell of a hassle setting it up and I never really feel it's secure. And then can't get to boot without undoing whole thing.

lookoutas, Jun 7, 10:16pm
What about a couple of tubes mounted from the chassis on each side, and hanging down just below the bumper - as in mounting a dog box. Then modify a bike rack to fit.
Far easier and stronger than trying to mount something in the middle. And much more stable.

That clip-on thing wouldn't go anywhere near my paintwork!

helen490, Jun 8, 2:41am
thanks. has turned into a good discussion.

fordcrzy, Jul 10, 1:13am
ive seen a few bike racks that screw into the tow hook sockets on either side of the bumper. need to remove the plastic bumper caps to access them.