4wd recommendations please

lesleyd3, Jan 18, 4:06am
Daughter is looking to buy first car soon and wants something off road capable as she goes tramping and does other outdoor activities.
She wants a Suzuki escudo probably because it's the only off roader she has been in.
Pros cons and other recommendations please for reliable but cheapish options?
Thanks

tony9, Jan 18, 4:12am
She needs a Range Rover like mine (P38), it will take you anywhere.

A recent survey found that 80% of older Ranger Rovers are still on the road.

The other 20% made it home OK.

_peas, Jan 18, 4:22am
Pro. you've already found the best option for her. Check the cargo area under the carpet for rust. pretty common for most that I saw coming through compliance.

franc123, Jan 18, 4:29am
Pretty difficult to beat the Escudo, its best to look at either 1600 or 2000cc 4 cyl petrol versions, avoid the V6 and don't go near any of the diesels. Whatever you decide on get a thorough prepurchase check done, if there was any vehicle that you need to be certain that it hasn't been abused in the past, its these.

johotech, Jan 18, 4:30am
Usually towed behind a Landcruiser!

lesleyd3, Jan 18, 4:37am
So you are pro escudo?

slarty45, Jan 18, 5:06am
they are a "reliable but cheapish option"
and she likes them

i have a 4 yr old vitara that i call teflon cos it doesn`t get stuck (yet)

golfdiver, Jan 18, 8:04am
Short wheel base Pajero's came out tops in a 4wd test conducted a few years ago

mack77, Jan 18, 8:35am
Unfortunately the Suzuki Escudo has a dreadfully low safety rating (in the lowest group possible) as you can see from the "2014 Used Car Safety Ratings" for Australia and NZ. I wouldn't even let my dog travel in one.

mack77, Jan 18, 9:26am
The cheapest safe and most reliable vehicles that I could recommend for you daughter would be: 1997 to 2001 Honda CRV AWD and then 1997 to 2002 Subaru Forester AWD. Both of these will take you into the "second most safe" rating group which is a hell of lot better than being in the lowest group (commonly referred to as suicide vehicles).

lesleyd3, Jan 18, 11:01pm
Thanks for your suggestions. A bit more research to be done I think

ceebee2, Aug 4, 6:50am
+1

And the Escudos have issues with cylinder head problems due to exhaust manifold blockages.