Best 4WD SUV for under $46k and why?

Page 1 / 2
shorebee, Jul 6, 12:56am
V6 VRX outlander- wet dreams cum true :)

timaru2009, Jul 6, 1:40am
Just keep away from Holden's, Many many problems.
(I'm a ex fleet manager).
Toyota or Nissan you best bet.or even Hyundai.

timaru2009, Jul 6, 1:43am
Holden Captiva = Made by Daewoo = Nasty

Read this
http://www.motorsm.com/complaints/update/display.asp!aid=2056

_peas, Jul 6, 1:55am
The Captiva's like to stretch camchains don't they!But its okay "cos there's no cam belt to worry about"My favourite quote in auctions.

grangies, Jul 6, 2:14am
The Skoda Yeti looks like a mad scientist has attacked a Honda CRV, and forced a Rover 25 front onto it.

krisbop, Jul 6, 2:22am
Best is a Toyota Highlander, should get an 08 model Limited with Leather for $46,000 with very low kms.
One drive of that and nothing else compares :)
Have driven everything and that would be my 100% choice

thunderbolt, Jul 6, 4:09am
I still don't understand why people rate the highlander!
Since hertz has replaced their Terri fleet with Highlanders, I have had a few now for week long rentals.
And despite getting more familar with them, I still think they are over rated and less stable on the road than a Terri.

im.ron.burgandy, Apr 10, 4:54am
Hi, gotta get a new car for work that not only drives well but is also spacious and has plenty of cargo room to fit in all the kids bits n pieces for family holidays - any suggestions and why would be much apreciated. Cheers

klrider, Apr 10, 5:24am
I have searched for some time and settled on a Territory after driving a few. Suzuki too small. Territory has been fantastic for towing, the seven seats come in handy, and plenty of room for all.

pico42, Apr 10, 5:50am
None of these really suggest you need a 4WD - what is your work!

mugenb20b, Apr 10, 6:49am
100 Series Toyota Landcruiser.

kalebsmum, Apr 10, 6:51am
Nissian Safari 4.2.I admit they like the fuel, but they are basically bullet proof,

chris_051, Apr 10, 9:15am
Wait until Ford release the new Territory with the 2.7 turbo diesel in a couple of months.

smellykelly, Apr 10, 10:15am
holden cativa LX or Kia Sorrento!

vtecintegra, Apr 10, 11:23pm
Or alternatively just get a petrol now.Works especially well if the company pays for fuel :)

mopsy3, Apr 11, 3:00am
The new Territory will be more than 46K anyway.

thejazzpianoma, Apr 11, 3:49am
Hi Iron Burgandy,
Its a bit hard to suggest something concrete without knowing a bit more. Firstly is this going to be a brand new vehicle or is secondhand an option as well!
What sort of emphasis is there on fuel economy! Are you going to be towing anything particularly heavy i.e over 2 Tonne.
Does it have to have 7 seats or will 5 do!
What sort of work are you doing and is this actually going to be doing any real offroading!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 11, 3:53am
My personal preference in that price range if going new would be the Skoda Yeti. Its stupidly cheap to run and a really nice to drive reliable vehicle. If you want auto you can get it with VW's cracker DSG gearbox too. Don't be fooled by the small capacity engine either, those smaller VW common rail diesels pack a big punch. Thats why the VW Amarok for example only needs a small engine to compete very well with the rivals bigger but less efficient units.

Depending on what you are doing for work etc you may want a larger vehicle. The Skoda is a good usable size for typical family use though.

To put running costs into perspective, a Petrol Ford Teratory will cost you around $28 per hundred km while the DIesel Skoda will cost you about $13 including RUC. Thats a monumental difference.

There may be some angry loon's along shortly to argue that its not fair to compare petrol to diesel or that the Terratory is more powerful or bigger or whatever. However thats just an example.

The thing is many in the price range will only be offered in Petrol and even smaller petrol SUV's are quite thirsty, so its worth keeping running costs in perspective. Also, I am not sure if you have driven a modern common rail diesel but if not I would strongly suggest you do. Whats hard to appreciate on paper is just how much responsive punch those modern common rails have. Gone are the days of the smoky high maintenance sluggish diesel.

mopsy3, Apr 12, 1:44am
Jazz the biggest problem is with the Yeti.It's god damn ugly and most people wouldnt be seen dead in one!

thejazzpianoma, Apr 12, 3:04am
You mean it dosn't look like a Toyota!
Thats the trouble with the Yeti, its so far ahead of the opposition you have to really scrape the barrel to find reasons not to get one.

Good to see the conformity Police out and about, making sure everyone buys the same old poorly designed and thirsty 4x4's.

Here's a pic if anyone is curious as to what the Yeti looks like.
http://www.autoinfoz.com/model_photo/small/471831.1-lg.jpg

morrisman1, Apr 12, 3:14am
Thats it Mr, straight to the naughty room!

im.ron.burgandy, Apr 12, 3:16am
Thanks for everyones feedback. My line of work includes some offroading and the product that I carry requires space - as does the family when holiday season rolls around. It's a company car and they'd like me to lease a new not secondhand model. Unfortunately the Territory is out of my price range. The Skoda and the Captiva! Not really me but thanks. I have been considering the Mitsi Outlander as it seems to offer space, safety, is loaded with functions and versatility as well as fitting within the budget - Online reviews appear to be all good - any past or present owners with thier thoughts! All horror stories welcome.

mopsy3, Apr 12, 3:24am
No actually a Toyota is probably more boring than a yeti these days.

mopsy3, Apr 12, 3:25am
My neighbour has one, I laugh every time I see her in it.She can barely see over the steering wheel, although she might sit like that to hide from anybody she knows. LOL

im.ron.burgandy, Apr 12, 4:58am
Constructive.