Mercedes Diesel Mechanics Christchurch

griev, Jun 30, 7:38pm
I have a 2001 motorhome on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis

Owned for 5 years has just click 300thu kms

Faithfully serviced by a reputable dealership incl rebuilt injectors 3 months ago

Very recently I was heading south to Central for a few days break, stopped at Orari cafe for lunch, and carried on heading inland to Fairlie.

Approx 10kms after leaving Orari, a loud noise emanated from the engine combined with a loss of power.

Stopped, had a look, has oil, but removing the oil cap she was def warm inside.

It is on its way back to CHCH prob today, but is there a good alt repair outfit that I won't need to take a mortgage out to fix it?

Oddly it runs, I 1st thought 'run bearing' , but just not sure, the garage that looked at it, advised to get it back to CHCH as it might sit at their shop a bit longer than 1st thought if it is serious, they hummed and hared, started it up etc, runs, just doesn't sound like it will run for long.

So is there a good efficient repair outfit out there that spec in Eruro Diesels at better rates?

I am expecting a full rebuild or replacement engine as worst case scenario

Bit pissed as it's done sod all kms for this sort of vehicle

intrade, Jun 30, 9:37pm
do you hear a hissing noise now .
i just ordered a new intercooler for a clients merc it blew out , will have to check intake manifold as i dont know if the intercooler blew out from old age or blocked up intake from the egr.

intrade, Jun 30, 9:42pm
when its warm stab the throtle while somone up front listens for a swooosh noise of escaping air. if you open the bonnet you can follow the big rubber hoses from turbo and engine intake they go to the intercooler either up front or left or right wheel well. listen for a hiss noise , as i think the poping was your intercooler or a hose burst but if a hose was burst it be fully down on power now .

intrade, Jun 30, 9:49pm
if somone has a launch x432 scanntool mercedes software has a boost test you can do and observe if the boost pressure goes up , provided it has a variable gate charger. . the normal waste gate charger you have to rev up longer , the problem with that is you must try and hear the hiss over the engine noise as where on variable gate the hiss is instant if you stab the throttle the gates make the charger boost max pressure and is still boosting while the rpm drops back down.
basically if its got a lot of power on hills with15 to 1700 rpm then its probably got a variable gate charger as the other chargers only start boosting above 2000rpm propperly .

griev, Jul 1, 11:20am
Thanks in trade, can't say a hissing noise, it was more of a loud rattle/knocking sound.

Put it this way, it made it definitely sound like a diesel lol

strobo, Jul 1, 4:44pm
Is it a manual ?dont they have a dual mass flywheel that gives probs ? like noise and coming apart ?that is also a crank harmonic. !

strobo, Jul 1, 5:12pm
More guessing . melted piston due to faulty new injectors .

intrade, Jul 1, 8:50pm
the question is the noise gone again?
common is the itake runner flaps falling off the actuators , they would sound like a rattle if one or more floats abouts .
Now to the theory why mercedes has these flaps on intake.
Mercedes had idi indirect injection even on there big trucks so R&D spending on direct injection was not exactly sunk in to direct injection.
like vw whom had a direct injector prototype engine of its tdi even on its mk1 golf . vw did not need these flaps as they moulded there intake and piston tops to make the swirl-action . Mercedes opted for flaps to cause this turbolence of air in the intake and it opens the flaps fully on full load electro mechanically . We did learn to test these flaps with the bosch scantool at bosch germany as a probable fault in diagnosing intermittend problems .
so that could be your rattle noise fallen off intake runner flaps
they are not the same thing what new diesel like vw and other commonrail use to starv the diesel of air on idle to keep within the tuff emission laws of lowering NOX , mercedes used these to mimic the forchamber on there direct injection cdi engines . loads of stuff where you need to know designe and function,
ah yea there is no code unless the flap makes the acuator stick and even then there probably is no code on generation 1 commonrail engine managment. You pisically need to look if the actuator shaft moves when you command the flaps to open and shut.

intrade, Jul 1, 9:35pm
what model cdi is it exactly?

griev, Jul 4, 8:28am
It is a 2001 sprinter 2.4 litr turbo diesel

It's round at my normal mech - official Mercedes repair, they are baffled, noise was there when they started it up twice, then disappeared when moving it into the workshop

It's very odd

griev, Jul 4, 8:29am
435 sprinter seems to ring a bell, but will update soon

griev, Jul 4, 8:31am
Now that looks very interesting, where are they physically located?

griev, Jul 4, 8:33am
Good point it has just had rebuilt injectors fitted approx 2000km ago

intrade, Jul 4, 9:07am
they are in the air intake and they are called Drall-klappen.
dont know if it looks like this on your engine you see right the actuator and in the round holes is the air shutters
http://www.auto-lich.de/bilder/autos/Nummer/166_W220_1/Ansaugbruecken_unten1.JPG
its on the intake of the engine usually well hidden i used a torch to see if the baar moved still on the cdi merc when i comanded it on and off with my scantool.

intrade, Jul 4, 9:21am
melted piston should show easy and quick on a relative compression test with a amp clamp on starter motor and cranking it 5 humps on 5 cilinder must all look the same high on oscilloscope when you crank it over . my scantool has compression test it shows rpm deviation during cranking on that for
http://images.picoauto.com/vwgolf-fig1.jpg

any scope will do be one almost non existing hump on a melted piston 5 minute job to rule out.

griev, Mar 21, 4:23pm
Awesome thanks for that

They are looking at a cracked piston potentially

Much apprec for the help, that graph cert shows it up