How to remove corrosion from trailer plug?

sooby, Jan 9, 12:27am
Hi guys,

Just noticed our trailer plug has corrosion and not all lights are working, how would I clean the corrosion off this?

Here is a photo: https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/439272277.jpg

Any ideas?

skin1235, Jan 9, 12:29am
$7 at repco, and don't fit it until you need to use the trailer

intrade, Jan 9, 12:30am
best to get a new plug and inspect the wires for corrosion also
ah snap lol

kazbanz, Jan 9, 12:39am
contact cleaner and a small round file.-but I'd be checking bulbs first to be sure they aren't just blown

franc123, Jan 9, 12:42am
Price the can of contact cleaner first, for a one off job it is probably cheaper to just fit a new plug.

bigfatmat1, Jan 9, 1:13am
You could use some corrosion remover. Pretty expensive. Contact cleaner is not really suitable. Or replace plug and fill new plug with electrical grease. IMO that corrosion will not be the problem. If you are not getting power passing through plug then spread the pins on the male end this is a very common cause of light failure.

wind.turbine, Jan 9, 2:09am
I have always used CRC but as bigfat said, it will be the male pins, just get a small flat head and very slightly spread them apart but not to much!

if that does not work then check the bulbs

elect70, Jan 9, 2:15am
Car one has a flap to keep water out yet trailer one doesnt the terminals being male exposed to the weather , silly eh

sooby, Feb 28, 6:39pm
cheers guys,

Have tested a trailer board with another car so can confirm bulbs aren't the issue - must be the male pins if not corrosion