Electrical problem?

lew124, Jul 6, 9:17pm
I have a toyota isis. If I leave the key in the ignition when stopped for about 36 hours the battery goes flat, but it is fine if I take the key out. The question is, what is "live" just with the key in?

gmphil, Jul 6, 9:36pm
the courtesy system is still live till u remove keys !

intrade, Jul 6, 10:15pm
why in the hell would you keep the key in there 36 h?
and yes it be waking up my electronic car 2001 draws 1 amp current if its awake . wont be long till you flatten any battery like this .

intrade, Jul 6, 10:17pm
nissan with remote key and others will wake if key is near by thinking you want to start car and flatten battery also over time , key must be way out of range or car thinks your going to want to start it soon.

intrade, Jul 6, 10:22pm
are you in the trade? read my diagnostic story , i had to learn all the crap in the last 4 years befor that i said i dont want to know . now dont want to know= get another trade like plumber or learn how it works like i am still learning it never ends .

msigg, Jul 6, 10:28pm
As Intrade suggests take out the key, otherwise if you want to find out whatis on you need to look at the wiring diagram and follow all the wires, where they do go , one will be a chime for leaving the key in, does it chime, has it been silenced, follow all wire to see where they terminate then do some thinking how it works.

lew124, Jul 6, 10:35pm
ok it must be the courtesy system, thanks

tamarillo, Jul 6, 10:45pm
It's an Isis, it remains armed and ready.

mharwood, Jul 6, 11:01pm
yes nice one

bigfatmat1, Jul 7, 12:12am
We have a isis at work sits with keys in starts ever day to be moved outside then back again at end of day my guess is that yours has a fault wiring diagram won't tell you squat. You need to use a ampmeter and run some checks by isolating the live circuit with key in by removing fuses to see when the current draw disappears. Then concentrate on that circuit

mack77, Jul 7, 10:17am
I agree with the above in that I would be doing some checks to find out just how much current is being drawn from the battery and where it is going. I don't like mysteries. I realise that this may not be easy and a complete wiring diagram would be an enormous help.

bigfatmat1, Jul 7, 10:24am
a the wires from key will go to bcm. I think what is more important than a wiring diagram is how the bcm is programmed.

skin1235, Jul 7, 10:34am
have a similar issue on two of my vehicles, if I leave the keys in the ignition they will flatten the battery within a week, yet if I remove the keys they don't

cannot find what is drawing nearly 1,5amps when everything appears to be turned off but checking with an amp meter on the pos post thats what it draws with the key in turned full off, take the key out and it drops to barely .25 amp ( clock and radio memory I assume)

aredwood, Jul 7, 1:05pm
Don't become a plumber if you don't like upskilling. As the plumbers board have made upskilling a mandatory requirement to keep your plumbers licence. (I think this is a good thing)

Also Intrade, Please post some more links to interesting diagnostic stories when you are able. I enjoy reading them. (still need to get around to watching that hour long video about air con systems you linked to awhile ago)

intrade, Mar 10, 8:03am
aredwood you need to make time for these things.
the biggest problem is if your not interested and just want the answer to a question. the thing is without learning you wont know what the answer acturaly means. you think you know and then your dead . because you never ever ever assume things. thats part of the video you wanted to watch and its a true fact for all trades.