What modern car would you recommend for around 8k

Page 1 / 2
ravi2, Mar 4, 10:49am
maybe above 2005 and 4 doors

kazbanz, Mar 4, 7:27pm
Toyota platz 1500 will be the perfect car for you.
its beside the point that I haven't a clue how many miles you do a day,If you are mostly carrying kids or travelling long distance or a sales rep, if carrying capacity is important or not.if you prefer manual or auto
Yep dripping with sarcasm but without that ^^^^ information its really hard to make a decent recommendation

kazbanz, Mar 4, 7:46pm
BOTH are 5 door. How do you know the OP would find a 5 door acceptable?

floscey, Mar 4, 7:47pm
wait .

intrade, Mar 4, 7:55pm
i would recommend you buy a older model as in older technology under the bonnet . toyota have been holding on for as long as they could to old technology , downside is slight higher fuel consumption.
only 4 cilinder toyota are any good and if you pay 6 grand for a real good 2000 to 2004 toyota then you got money spear for the rest. also downside is these are not real carsh save
having said that i mean if it gets severe crushed newr cars have a better protection for not crumbeling up the passange cell with plenty more airbags and all that, but that is only required if you would normally not survive
i had almost a near death one in my fiat tipo with my mate we had no way to do anything over a small bridge after the bridge a bend and all traffic , I moved as close as i possible could to the rail of the bridge in my reaction.
the guy was on the phone or wanted to overtake. Could not tell exactly in a full chassy hilux 4wd, we would have been history and possible in the river pushed thru ther rails had he not ripped the steering back on his side in the last secound. He missed me by about 10 cm

And that is about the only reason why you would need a newer car because if you dont crash and dont get crashed in to you dont need no airbags or anything .

tamarillo, Mar 4, 8:00pm
PO, MORE INFO this is like asking which music is best. Are you in city doing City traffic? Day runs? Open road, how many people, and what is important to you, prestige, economy, comfort, gadgets,

If all you give us is 8g and 4 doors the answer is vw golf or Toyota Corolla as they are best in class at doing almost anything well. IMO.

intrade, Mar 4, 8:02pm
mazda is something i would definetly not buy
we waited 14 days for a timing belt tensioner for a mazda capella ex japan. then the part was actuarly in nz and the part they ordered was a idler with the wrong number .
now sit down tensioner was 200$ it had died because last time they did not replace it. and now dont get up the timing belt . for this mazda is another 200$ So i fitted the old belt again. as it had been done on request from client .
just imagin what it will cost for all timing parts be a grand in parts from mazda.

kazbanz, Mar 4, 9:40pm
capella is 1990's OP wants 2000's -no belts in those fella's

tmenz, Mar 4, 9:59pm
Ah, best music indeed - City to City - Baker Street, Gerry Rafferty.

mugenb20b, Mar 4, 11:12pm
I did a cambelt job on a Capella and a 626 last year, no problems getting cambelt kits for them. Repco had them in stock both times.

_frodo_, Mar 5, 1:50am
Honda civic 2006 and newer

motorboy2011, Mar 5, 5:28am
Family car? Sports car? Saloon? Wagon? Hatch? Economical? Powerful?

motorboy2011, Mar 5, 6:19am
350rx four stagea.

smac, Mar 5, 9:21am
May as well ask here while we're killing time - am I right thinking M sport is just trim? Or is there more to it?

tamarillo, Mar 5, 9:44am
damn good question. I THINK that a full m sport package is more than just trim, involving slightly firmer suspension and better shocks, maybe slightly lower and step up in wheels. I think it changed depending on which model but I know the e36 had different suspension components and little stuff. But m sport doesn't touch drive chain.
Confusion comes because a lot of imports have a few of the M sport options and can even have M sport badge on, but have only some of the options rather than the full M sport package. BMW sold the cars with either a full m sport package, or the standard car with selected M sport bits (spoilers, seats, trim, etc). Trouble is trying to work it out on an import without paperwork. That red 325 looks genuine as it has all the expected M sport stuff; dash trim, seats, wheels, etc and looks lower, though could have been lowered later. Hasn't got an M badge that I can see.
I think Japan loves cosmetic additions and some cars coming here have the cosmetic enhancements only. Seems ages ads claiming to be m sport yet have standrad wheels and the wood dash trim, only m sport bit is a kick panel and a badge!
then there's the actual M cars, M3, M4, M5 etc which are different drive chains altogether, a rebuilt car.
then occasionally they have made cars using standard naming but with an M in front eg M135 , or in South Africa an M535 ( or close! ) which were definitely enhanced and bigger engined but not quite up to the names M1 and M5. Junior M cars!
BMW naming is bloody infuriating and now you cant even tell the engine size from its numbers.

tamarillo, Mar 5, 10:03am
had to look that up! Quick I guess but. distinctive looks.

motorboy2011, Mar 5, 3:53pm
A family Wagon with a Nissan 350z engine. Pretty ugly but practical, hence why there is one in the driveway :)

tamarillo, Mar 5, 6:35pm
I can see the attraction for sure, wagon with real grunt.

nzjay, Mar 5, 8:24pm
These 350 engines give amazing fuel economy for a big powerful engine if you don't peddle too hard. Oodles of grunt if needed. I drive a 350GT.

dvince, Mar 5, 11:29pm
Given that OP asked a vague question and not posted after starting this thread; me thinks you lot got trolled.

smac, Mar 6, 12:17am
Which is why we started our own conversations. yet you're still on the original.
*whoosh*

tamarillo, Mar 6, 12:26am
OP will end buying a Nissen tidea and may they forever regret it.

dvince, Mar 6, 12:29am
Gosh, sorry for not wasting my time reading the whole thread.

Still crackup though

ravi2, Mar 6, 10:09am
Hi some good info here - cheers for your time.

So I went to do some research and came across a BMW 116i - would this be recommended?

ravi2, Mar 6, 10:12am
Hi intrade - cheers for your informative response - yea one major reason for me to get a newer model is for safety