Honda Accord 1997 Coolant change

midaso, Apr 9, 5:36am
Hi team, I meant to ask this in my earlier post. I have consistently stuck with Honda service for years but paid out mega bucks. I know I can get coolant changed for much less than they charge but is it acceptable to use alternative coolant products? What do other Honda owners do?

petal_91, Apr 9, 6:29am
It is always best to use the coolant recommended by your manufacturer. What colour is your coolant? Newer Hondas came with a blue long life coolant called Honda Type 2, but your car might be old enough that it was specified to use just the old ordinary green fluid which can be sourced from anywhere.

midaso, Apr 9, 7:00am
Hi, ty petal-91, yes I am using the green fluid so I can happily go elsewhere then and save some dollars!

zetec, Apr 9, 7:04am
As long as an alternative coolant is of the same type as your car uses then it is fine to use. Your handbook should state a specification number for the coolant, and if you look at an aftermarket product's label and see that specification number listed, you can use it. Basically coolant is 95% the same, being ethylene glycol, it is the corrosion inhibitors that differ. Nulon make two kinds of long life coolant that is readily available at Repco and Supercheap, The green variety will most likely suit your car, the orange has an organic acid corrosion inhibitor which would be unlikely to be the type your car uses, being more for common in newer cars

petal_91, Apr 9, 7:07am
Yeah you should have no worries taking that car most anywhere. I would recommend Oil Changers if you have one in your area. Have been very impressed by their service.