Lining garage walls

Page 1 / 2
tigertim20, Jun 28, 2:28am
wondering if there are any other alternatives for lining the walls of a garage.

its a reasonably large one, but I want the walls lined.

One friend did suggest Plywood, but it seems fairly expensive. I ant something a little more durable than gib.

Ill probably paint it eventually, but it certainly doesnt need to meet the type of visual standards you would want in say, your lounge or bedroom.

any suggestions? - looking for cost effective mostly

jmma, Jun 28, 2:31am

zak410, Jun 28, 2:44am
I would use plywood, MDF may get soggy if dampness in the wall and it stinks and is also greater fire risk than ply IMO.

You may also install building paper between the studs first to stop any dampness.

tweake, Jun 28, 2:51am
i redid mine after a bit of storm damage.
previous person had used gib and that was falling to bits due to moisture.
moisture is the big thing to watch as most don't have building paper on them.
i used treated farm ply. certainly cost a bit more but its not going to rot or fall to bits like most custom wood etc will.
plus these garages are very lightly built and the ply adds a lot of strength to it.

elect70, Jun 28, 4:13am
^^^ yep Get CD grade 3 ply cheap stuff chinese imported , dont use any of that MDF type crap or plaster board it absorbs water swells & rots . In good ole days we got car case ply

jason_247, Jun 28, 4:17am
Paint it white. High gloss. Gets marked easy but thriws light around well if you are working in there alot.

I prefer gib. Can always use aqualine if mouisture is an issue

intrade, Jun 28, 4:28am
are you going to insulate and rodent proof it also? i would never ever use any gib crap. My mate used plywood from a chinese importer in auckland to line his huge shed in waipu.

tweake, Jun 28, 4:44am
gib doesn't add much to the structure, most garages are really flimsy and well worth adding extra bracing to.

muzz67, Jun 28, 4:57am
Use a decent 9 or 12mm ply,, dont skimp out.
Then you can hang shelves/brackets/hooks etc anywhere,,
and when something falls over it wont smash a bloody great hole.

stevo2, Jun 28, 5:25am
^^ THIS ^^. Best garage lining available. I use 12mm but 9mm is nearly as good.

clark20, Jun 28, 5:35am
You could use Tri-board

http://nzhomebuilders.net/tri-board

Had a workbench made from it, it was great

anarot, Jun 28, 5:46am
I lined my garage/man cave in plywood and varnished it. I think it looks great and is really durable.

sifty, Jun 28, 6:01am
I second the paint it white idea.
I've got bigger all lighting in the shed but white walls and light grey floor make vision pretty good.

rexbev, Jun 28, 6:07am
tigertim20, i see you are in dunedin,I have just lined my garage with 1mtr square panel from dismantled boxes that donaghys dispose of

bigfatmat1, Jun 28, 6:19am
Make sure to apply a second lining of tits ass and motors

chas10, Jun 28, 6:28am
I lined my garage with gib but wish I had used plywood instead. Painted white it has made a huge difference to the light inside.

youngones2, Jun 28, 7:35am
built a new house and lined with ply and used same color as rest of house just 1/2 color strength so it is nice and light in there. good for working in and hanging shelves, bike racks etc off.

2sheddies, Jun 28, 8:47am
Agree. definitely has to be white.

The lightings a good point too. if you use it for a workshop, good fluorescents and plenty of them help. Makes it so much easier and safer having it lit up like daytime. Especially with the gloss white walls.

tigertim20, Jun 28, 9:40am
painting it white is already planned for extra lighting benefits!.

cheaper chinese ply - any suggestions where this can be sourced I am in dunedin

singing1, Jun 28, 10:03am
You can get white packing sheet Meltica from some office furniture makers or on trademe. I did mine with it just painted all edges also when fitting I sat the sheet on a builders rule so the sheet sits 10mm off the floor. I paid $10 a 2420 x 1220 sheet. pretty cheap lining and you can screw stuff to it etc.

whqqsh, Jun 28, 6:14pm
Id go for cheap ply & depending on how much time you spend look around for cheap or half bales of Batts etc (for warmth & noise)
But whatever you use mark where the studs are (just a little pencil mark will do) top & bottom for future reference

zak410, Jun 28, 10:44pm
Batts would be a waste of money and time without building paper on the walls.

muzz67, Jun 29, 12:27am
Good point,, it is ok to retro-fit building paper against the exterior cladding and fold it in to staple onto the sides of the studs and dwangs/nogs.

tweake, Jun 29, 12:35am
yes, except for the nog and bottom plate. you really want the paper to go down the outside of the nog or bottom plate. otherwise you risk water sitting on the timber and you don't have any air flow to dry it off.

if you have vertical siding it creates its own drain channels down the back.
that is a lot more suitable than horizontal siding.

i looked at this last year when i did mine. but my siding is horizontal and its stabled (impossible to remove without damage). so i didn't bother with insulation.

tigertim20, Jun 29, 7:45am
thought id update - got some 12mm ply from bunnings for $34 a sheet. happy with that!