Official vs. real life fuel economy figures

jhwjhw, Apr 5, 8:40am
Jazz 1.3 CVT, claimed 5.1, actual 4.2 between 90-100kph on a new & tight engine. At speeds above 100kph 4.7lt/100km

tamarillo, Apr 5, 8:49am
1st, these figures are useful for making comparisons. Surely people know they are unlikely to achieve the figures. It allows comparisons, and feul use is a huge part of buying decisions in Europe.
2nd, yes of course it's done on a rolling road. If it was fine on real roads you would have too many variables to get proper comparitive figure. Even different driver is going to make difference.
3rd intrade. Sandero? Are these on sale here now? Or was this on a holiday? What is/was it like?

intrade, Apr 6, 9:00am
we have a sandero left hand steered model it does the fuel figures i quoted my brother said he had to buy a new indicator stalk for 400$ for it as the part that did fail in the time we have it now.
You can buy right hand driven sandero only from the uk and since we import cars from uk then yes you can get one to be registered.
Now to the parts problem you might say dont buy a sandero because parts need to come from europe.
Yes well i have a repaired mazda capella outside my shop now the part was non available from mazda unless i paid 4000$ for a whole unit not just 1 tini electronic controll valve from denso that i did need.
Right so denso non available in nz and they could get me one whom might fit but not sure for 500$
So i found a denso part fitted to opel diesel and mazda capellas in europe for 99 euro.
The part is geniuen denso and it says made in japan.
So yea we have to buy parts from europe anyhow even for japanese vehicles
so there is nill excuse not to own a dacia sandero or importing one . they are euro 5 with stability controll sold in uk for 6000 pounds factory new
i probably fly to uk and get me one on my next euro trip

utwo, Nov 10, 8:36am
I read a news brief on this the other day:
http://europe.autonews.com/article/20141106/ANE/141109896/mercedes-worst-manipulator-of-eu-fuel-economy-test-report-says Here's a website where you can compare official fuel economy figures with what owners of individual makes/models have reported:
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/

bumfacingdown, Nov 10, 8:39am
And Audi was a close second with 38% discrepancy

clark20, Nov 10, 8:41am
The problem is the test, and the new Turbo cars don't even get on boost for the test, not like the real world. They are usually the ones with the biggest gap.

supernova2, Nov 10, 8:54am
Without even looking at the test results I thought that the real world was probably about 50% worse (use more)

skull, Nov 10, 9:03am
2014 Ford Kuga Diesel, claimed 6.2L/100km, real life city/urban combo 7.3L/100km On a trip I can get about 6.8L/100km purely city 7.9L/100km

intrade, Nov 11, 12:01am
yup we have the 1.2 sandero 95% accurate i got 60mpg when i drive it
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/dacia/sandero-2013

skyblue17, Nov 11, 12:56am

slarty45, Nov 11, 1:07am
Real life fuel use varies depending where you live.
That Honest John site showed a fuel use for my previous car that was heaps less than what I used.
But London is different from the empty Southland roads.
My fuel burn was what the manufacturer suggest or slightly better.

bumfacingdown, Nov 11, 1:25am
Not according to the second link in the opening post

countrypete, Nov 11, 2:01am
The americans were doing cunning things such as removing tailgates, spare wheels and other "unnecessary" parts, in a bid to reduce weight and therefore get better economy figures. They were literally cheating. The Europeans were simply taking advantage of the unrealistic nature of the rules, and gaming them. The net result is the same - neither the euro, nor the American stated fuel consumption figures are achievable in the real world. Seems the Japanese figures are more reliable.

clark20, Nov 11, 8:10am
http://www.greenvehicleguide.gov.au/GVGPublicUI/Information.aspx?type=FuelConsumptionLabel

The test takes 20 minutes on a special dyno, it is not even on the road

tigra, Nov 11, 9:52pm
A bit like the really dumb EECA ads which claim you can save heaps if your tyres are inflated correctly. as if 4 or 5 lbs made any real difference

msigg, Nov 12, 5:44am
tigra remember riding a bike with flat tyres, then pump them up real hard and notice the difference.

mopeds, Nov 12, 6:08am
Kia Rio Diesel LX, bought from new, they claimed 3.6 l/100km, best I've seen is 5.6.

intrade, Nov 12, 6:13am
lol 3.6 haha i wonder how long till they claim the cars make fuel
its a bit like them . who do 60,000km on a set of tyres they are also the same dreamers.

berg, Nov 12, 6:43am
82,000km on the first set of Dunlop Sportmax tyres on our last Swift. Replaced right on 1.5mm and dead even tread across the tyres.
Suzuki claimed 7.5ltrs per 100km, we averaged 6.3 with a mix of town and long distance driving.

msigg, Nov 12, 6:58am
Yes i've seen 80k on old hard tyres, hot miles no fast cornering, all of that.
As for fuel consumption well there's plenty on here who stretch their figures, I myself do not care, its all about the total package, each to their own. have fun.

gunhand, Nov 12, 6:58am
I'd agree, now try and find two people who agree on what proper inflation is lol. Or correct PSI.

rachnl84, Mar 26, 1:14pm
I did 92000k on my nissan Stx ute and would of hit 100000 if one of the tyre didn't develop a bulge and they were legal tread when they got changed I don't drive like a pin head and I do 100kph on open road