Old dulon paint

biddy6, Jan 5, 11:04pm
I have 2-1/2 litres of BRIGHT red dulon, and want to darken it for painting my trailer. Can you still get dulon, and would 500mls of black be enough to dull it down a bit. Or what else will mix with dulon.

andy61, Jan 6, 12:43am
Be careful putting black in, tends to go a browny shade of red.

biddy6, Jan 6, 1:17am
Thanks, also found out you can still get Dulon.

lookoutas, Jan 6, 3:03am
You wouldn't need 500 mls of black!
Gun should come in here, but I would guess from working with an old mate years ago that something like magenta would be the best to darken red.

I can always remember guessing that ochre would be the go-to tint for most colour tinting. It was so often the case that it became my stock standard first-up suggestion.

gammelvind, Jan 6, 4:45am
No problem, sell Dulon daily. I don't get involved with the mixing being a rep on the road, but there are no issues in getting it.

gunhand, Jan 6, 6:59am
Blacks and whites are always first call for most to lighten or darken paint, unfortunately the reality is quite a bit different. As said above to much black will make it a brownie colour. You need a darker red. If you add black do a small amount at a time. And, nothin wrong with bright red trailer if you ask me.
And if adding colours the wet colour you get will dry off quite bit different as well so take that into account as well.

m16d, Jan 6, 7:54am
Always remember. when you start mixing colours, you can't unmix them.

biddy6, Jan 6, 9:24am
Thanks everyone, will take it all onboard.

lookoutas, Jan 6, 8:05pm
That's why you should take say 10% out and tint that to your requirement. Then remembering what you used, x that by the remainder and add the appropriate amount of tint to that.

grangies, Jan 6, 9:57pm
Biddy6 . Hi there.

Don't add any black whatsoever to your bright red.

Virtually every single red colour formula never ever has any black in it at all. Even those deep dark reds have ZERO black in the recipe.

Even say,100mls of black added to 2.5 liters of bright red, will absolutely destroy the colour by turning it into a muddy ugly brownish mess. LOL.

Dark reds are achieved buy only dark reds as the tinters.

2.5 liters of bright red will take quite a lot of dark red to make any difference to it, as the bright red over powers the darker red tinters.

You could add 500mls of a tinter called Red-Violet, but it will still be fairly bright.

As I said. Dark reds are made using "dark reds" .

biddy6, Jan 6, 11:00pm
Thanks for that grangies, off to the paint shop after lunch.

elect70, Jan 7, 2:51am
^^ good idea they can tint it for small fee

lookoutas, Mar 15, 9:06am
I knew some tinter would eventually give the right advise.
Re-violet - that's what it was called, and by the sounds of it OP might need a truck load of that with a smidgeon of his bright red.

Had an idea that there was FA black in red, but it's almost 25 years since I did a lot of work with me old painter mate. He was one of the best colour matchers out there.