Manual transmission cars.

Page 1 / 2
melonhead1, Apr 17, 9:09am
Who is an advocate for the manual transmission car or do you just not care anymore?
I like my manual car but I realise that I'm going to have to give up on it when you can't buy another one anymore when I need a new car.
What type of auto is your favourite? Torque converter type or DCT or some other?

r.g.nixon, Apr 17, 9:17am
I'm sure there are plenty of new manuals, unless you are very picky about the model you are after.

tamarillo, Apr 17, 9:25am
I love manuals. And drive an auto as everyday car! Ease and a health issue.
But any recreational car is manual, and I'm lucky to have a damn good bike that I ride a lot for fun, and of course that's manual.
So, auto for everyday driving, manual for recreation.

As for autos Im enjoying traditional torque converter for smoothness but with tiptronic override for when I want more control.
Drove a few dct autos and really liked them, though not as easy in traffic.
Selespeed (Alfa) just didn't work except on open road.
Used a fiat punto hire car with that weird auto clutch thing. Would take a while to get used too.

Best manual ever. Fords simple 4 speed in cortina gte. Proverbial knive butter.

tamarillo, Apr 17, 9:26am
Not many cars even have a manual option now.

franc123, Apr 17, 9:30am
If customers were demanding manuals, new vehicle distributors would be bringing them in IF manual variants were made in that model, the fact they largely don't answers the question really.

melonhead1, Apr 17, 9:30am
Haha sweet, go the cortina! I remember seeing many of those cortinas when I was a wee boy but then they suddenly disappeared. Its like that with all cars I spose. I see hardly any classic 323/Lasers around all of a sudden now.
Anyhow, Cheers for the comments. I like to know what others think.

tamarillo, Apr 17, 9:44am
Best manual is one with overdrive on 3rd and 4th. On a fast windy road stay in 3rd and flick back and forth (pun intended). Triumph did this well but rest of the box was shite.
Worst gear change? Citroen 2cv rod sticking out the dashboard.

socram, Apr 17, 9:55am
LOL Totally agree about the Citroen.

Although Land Rover for example, are still doing manuals, certainly the Auckland dealers only bring in Auto's catering mainly for the Asian market.

Although Freelander has a sweet auto 6 speed, it doesn't change into 6th until it is doing about 100kph, which is very frustrating, when you know darn well it would take it at a much lower speed.

Sixth in the Cooper 'S' manual is quite happy trundling at 50kph.

As above. Manual for any car driven for fun, but in our constant stop/start daily traffic, auto every time. There is a lot of pleasure in perfectly executed, smooth, heel and toe down changes!

mark.52, Apr 17, 10:04am
I far prefer a manual, and will look after my current steed to keep it going as long as reasonably possible.

I think an auto transmission is just one more degree of separation between the driver and the business of driving.

brapbrap8, Apr 17, 10:06am
I usually like my manual utes, but they are not as good anymore since modern utes have such narrow power bands which means lots of changing gears and flogging the clutch to tow much.
Might go for a 70 series Cruiser next though, they only come in manual.

My car is actually a CVT auto, and I don't mind it. Very smooth and economical for cruising which is 99% of my driving. But it has a good tiptronic mode so if I want to put my foot down it just drives like a good 6 speed auto.
The europeans are king of the automatic though in my opinion, the VW DSG is awesome. I had a go in an Audi A8 twin turbo V8 diesel with a 7 speed DSG transmission and that was an amazing drive.

tintop, Apr 17, 10:08am
MGB did it too - and well :)

melonhead1, Apr 17, 10:19am
I like the direct connection between the motor and the wheels in a manual. I guess a dct/dsg (whatever its called?) has this same direct connection?
It gives better feedback I feel but it seems too easy to speed in a traditional auto.

robotnik, Apr 17, 10:33am
A DCT is technically a manual.

morrisman1, Apr 17, 10:50am
I love my manuals, I like how between my foot and my gear I can get exactly the type of power delivery that Im after. Every drive is a fun drive. The only time Ive thought I dont like manual was stuck in Chch traffic with a heavy clutched AWD pocket rocket - not the easiest thing to crawl along at 5km/h.

I can see the attraction in those circumstances which I guess is a fair chunk of the population of the world really.

intrade, Apr 17, 7:10pm
i only ever owned 1 automatic in my live and its outside a 3 speed toyota corolla with bullet proof trans and 322.000km on engine and trans

richardmayes, Apr 17, 7:21pm
Certain marque enthusiasts swear until they are blue in the face that the newest autos are SUBLIME - better, stronger, totally reliable.

And yet the "help - my car has no reverse" / help - my car won't stay in top gear" / "my car is changing gears very roughly" keep coming.

serf407, Apr 17, 7:23pm
There are different versions of transmissions being developed.
e.g the FEV 7 speed (electric motor assist)
https://youtu.be/Je5L7oDKMQs https://youtu.be/g-E31ExpWEo?t=3m54s (motor and trans are likely to be little items poked in a corner of the car in the future.

vtecintegra, Apr 17, 7:59pm
Prefer a manual on my own cars

Mazda's latest torque converter autos are great though, wouldn't mind one of them

intrade, Apr 17, 8:03pm
ok a quick explenation and i use a vw for this one its not much different in prices for most other makes however.
Deisel dualmass flywheel and clutch kit with all work to change clutch at 170.000km + minus some milage costs to do to oem standard 2000$ just in parts. plus labour about 800+$ on top
now the same automatic vw costs about 3500$ for a full rebuild
so not much more money wise to rebuild a auto transmission
Gone are the days where a clutch repair was 650$ with parts and labour.
You can do it cheaper in some cases like we purchased the dualmass flywheel fully assembled with clutch bolt on to crank for 449 euro from germany for a vw diesel so thats about 1200$ not 2 grand when purchased within nz. for thsi part. other parts where the same like truster bearing assy 180$ and 110$ for rear crank seal was the same in europe as it costs here when you convert money and shipping.

mrfxit, Apr 17, 8:39pm
Yea the B/R's & assorted other dimwits have smashed & butchered most of them now

tintop, Apr 17, 9:12pm
The fun ones were the government fleet purchase - Very basic trim level, but with the 1600cc engine and 4 speed floor change.

Capable of incredible speeds in all gears, fantastic last minute braking for sharp bends, and a great grey colour. :)

trogedon, Apr 17, 9:23pm
socram wrote:
LOL Totally agree about the Citroen.

Although Land Rover for example, are still doing manuals, certainly the Auckland dealers only bring in Auto's catering mainly for the Asian market.

Racist question from me; what do Asians need with Land Rovers? Are they farmers?

kazbanz, Apr 17, 9:35pm
yep and after full gender reasighnment a man is technically a woman. still doesn't make it a real manual/woman

esky-tastic, Apr 17, 10:51pm
Chicken or egg thing.
Dealers tell the customers that manuals are not available so the customers are stuck with buying an auto.

Dealers tell the manufacturers everybody is buying cars with autos.

So manufacturers think that's what the customers want.

So manufacturers continue to just make auto models and will continue to do so unless they see they're losing a lot of buyers to a manufacturer that DOES make manuals.

skin1235, Apr 17, 10:55pm
if you have a Freelander, next time you're passing the agents drop in and get them to reset the parameters in the g'box control unit, simple to allow it to drop into 6th at 80km/hr, just a small change on the computer, plus get them to replace the vac hose from the firewall unit to the g\box, they often split, this causes them to change down too quickly - the vac holds them in the gear until vac drops below a set param, no vac means they chop as soon as you touch the loud pedal