Best way from Auckland to Chch?

Page 2 / 2
xs1100, May 18, 8:34am
so basically what was earlier stated,new express way still takes through Hamilton which is a waste of time and effort and oto to taumaranui and down is also a long way unless you know the roads

bashfulbro, May 18, 6:32pm

kazbanz, May 18, 8:25pm
sorry dude I can't see your post.
Im saying go via mata mata rather than through Hamilton.
It reduces the chances of a traffic snarl up

martin11, May 18, 9:00pm
Waste of money with muffti cars and the new hand held lazer when it goes off its to late they have already got your speed .

sw20, May 18, 10:45pm
I've driven in twice in the last year.

First time was through National Park becuase the Desert Road was closed and snow was even falling on National Park at the start of July. Left the North Shore at 9am and was in Wellington just after 5pm.

Second time was last month. Went south via Matamata and avoided the shithole, road work infested Hamilton area. Left Parnell at 8:00am, arrived at Paraparaumu just after 3pm.

richardmayes, May 18, 11:47pm
Just stick to SH1.

Every man and his dog has got a story about how he used to know a secret short cut where you turn left at Te Awamutu, and then you turn right at the black stump, and then you go all the way around the back of Waikikamukau on the back roads, and when he used to drive his old Turbo Galant or his VL Commodore V8 that way he could do AKL-WLG in 4 and a half hours.

It's ALL BS.

ALL of it.

Oh yes it is.

Just stick to SH1.

I can't help noticing that that's what the big line haul trucking companies do.

There must be a reason.

richardmayes, May 18, 11:49pm
Kazbanz's & SW20's comments about avoiding Hamilton do have merit though. As long as you don't get lost, you could save a whole 15 minutes going via Gorndonton or Matamata.

lookoutas, May 19, 5:36am
That's taking the Pirongia route.

intrade, May 19, 5:43am
per 39 if desert road has a problem otherwise past hamilton bypass taupo -desert road the bypass motorway was still shut going south after huntly a few weeks ago why i dont know open south to north

serf407, May 19, 8:20am
How many cars etc are carried to the South Island from Auckland on car transporters now?

neell, May 20, 1:17am
Depends if you like driving or you just steer the car and want straight roads. I personally would go to Wanganui as SH1 is boring to drive these days as they have taken lots of corners out. I'd turn right at Whatawhata (spelling?) and bypass Hamilton. Don't forget to turn left after Te Kuiti or you'll end up in New Plymouth

buyit59, May 20, 2:03am
Hi Monaro, Did this trip myself last Monday/Tuesday in a big old American whale . Great trip on SH1 all the way - didnt get lost in Hamilton ! . Road is great and trip took 8/9 hours . I took the 2am Bluebridge sailing and booked a cabin ( $30 extra + they let you board early ) so arrived in Picton at 6am all showered and ready for the road home . Don't buy a lotto ticket in Taihape - mine didnt win ! Have a great trip .

monaro17, May 20, 5:07am
Thanks! I'm staying the night in wellington so timing isn't crucial thank goodness. I was banking on about eight and a half hours and you have just confirmed it!

poppy62, May 20, 6:56am
I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but if you're going via Taupo, may I suggest you check out the Western route down Lake Taupo. Lrss traffick very picturesque and not a lot of travel time difference. Good road some nice twisty bits and you eventually meet up with SH1 at the bottom of the lake. Have a Good safe trip.

edangus, May 20, 11:36am
Don't go via 27 or 3 to 30 to 32 or whatever. They suck in the wet and winter. Trucks/Buses use 27 a bit but they are limited to 90/80km/hr on open road. Not much fun passing. SH1 is the puppy. Take all the bypasses around Hamilton and you will be in with a grin.

buyit59, May 26, 4:38am
So Monaro how was the trip ? Did you get through before the snow or what ?

noswalg, May 26, 6:01am
Actually you turn left at Kihikihi and then right at Parawera then meet up with SH32 and go round through western bays to Turangi, don't knock it unless you've tried it. I use this route a lot (approx 20 trips per year) as I prefer not to be held up by other traffic. It is 5kms shorter than the SH1 alternative for Hamilton to Turangi and much much faster.

monaro17, May 26, 6:48am
Hi- Yes did the trip. Bypassed Hamilton on SH 1B then followed SH1 all the way from Cambridge. Absolutely awful weather (heavy rain) all the way down the North Island from Auckland, only clearing at Levin- just as darkness fell. The straight crossing was ok, a little bumpy out of the harbour. South island weather was great. So yes to answer your question, we did escape the snow side of things.

Incidentally the car was fantastic. Beautiful machine

gmphil, Sep 14, 5:36pm
wot did ya buy ?