Rob Muldoon's black Ford LTD or Galaxie

twinsonic, Aug 20, 4:59am
About 12 years ago, might be longer, the ex PM's car was for sale in Katikati. I went to have a look, but did not buy. Now a mate of mine owns a 1971 Ford that was purchased and delivered to the NZ government back in the days, the car used to be onyx black, but has no VIN or anything identifying the vehicle. Does anyone know what became of Muldoon's limo? Thanks in advance.

jmma, Aug 20, 5:09am

dublo, Aug 20, 5:11am
Don't know about the LTD which would probably have been government owned (still the Public Service Garage then?) but he owned Triumph 2500TCs and drove them to work. There is the infamous incident in 1982 when he had too much to drink before announcing the snap election and Brian Tallboys let down his Triumph's tyres so he couldn't drive home.
One of his TCs was owned by a Triumph car club member a few years ago.

socram, Aug 20, 5:14am
I think he then went on to a Sierra saloon, at a time when I think they only imported station wagons.

pauldw, Aug 20, 5:26am
The snap election was in 84 and I think he was in the Sierra by then. There were possibly several tyre down occasions.

ladatrouble, Aug 20, 5:37am
I used to look after a fleet of black ex Government LTD's and Galaxies, the owner used them for weddings and funerals. Had up to 14 at one stage, but down to half a doz and then less when he was coming to me.

gunhand, Aug 20, 7:41am
One of Muldoons black limos ended up in Mataura. Thats in Southland.
How do I know? worked on it a couple of times. Could still be down here as well. I know who owns/owned it but for obvious reasons won't say.
Also down here is Helen Clarks famous, going to the rugby car.

poppajn, Aug 20, 7:49am
Ratz

gunhand, Aug 20, 7:53am
We could use that name I guess, his old man owned tho, or has he passed it on?

tintop, Aug 20, 8:29am
My recollection was that Muldoon had a a Triumph 2000, later to be replaced by a Sierra (gifted?) by Ford.

He considered that 2000cc was big enough for anyone, and that was the basis of the tax break for cars up to 2,000cc.

A by-product of the Mundoon 'decree' was that Holden did not have an engine of that capacity, and a 1.9 l was sourced from somewhere and incorporated into the 'Sunbird' ?

Details are a bit hazy .

westwyn, Aug 20, 10:05am
He owned a Triumph 2500S- around a 1977-78 as I recall- in the French Blue. It ran a bearing at some stage and ended up being sold by the Public Service Garage on his behalf at Turners Damaged Vehicle Auction in Onehunga, Auckland, in 1989 or 1990. We knew it was his car, but were asked by the Garage people not to disclose the history before the sale. Not that it mattered- everyone that turned up to buy it knew, and it went for seriously good money!

twinsonic, Aug 20, 3:50pm
Thanks for all your help. Awesome!

trogedon, Aug 21, 8:40am
gunhand wrote:
One of Muldoons black limos ended up in Mataura. Thats in Southland.
How do I know? worked on it a couple of times. Could still be down here as well. I know who owns/owned it but for obvious reasons won't say.

National supporting farmer no doubt.

gunhand, Aug 21, 8:41am
You would very surprised at who got it lol.

dublo, Aug 21, 9:27am
Wasn't the varying tax rate the Labour government's doing in about 1974? I recall there were 3 rates, all depending upon engine size - triumph 2000s were in the middle bracket and 2500s in the large car bracket.
As an aside, I never forgave Labour for introducing the 50 mph (80 km/h )open road limit in 1974, just after I had bought a modern car which was happy at 70 mph on good road conditions!
Then there were carless days, and service stations closed at weekends.

cagivachick1, Aug 21, 9:34am
the good old days

poppajn, Aug 21, 9:50am
Would'nt he just lol

cathair, Aug 21, 10:47am
My old man used to own the Galaxy back when I was a wee nipper. My younger brother found a paint brush laying around in the garage and proceeded to bash the metal band around the brush onto the side of the car (he's still alive somehow)

richardmayes, Aug 22, 12:52am
Muldoon's French blue 2500 belonged to an Auckland Triumph club member when I was there in around 2003 -05. I don't recall if it was an S or a TC but I am certain it had one of the lighter coloured (silver on brass) 'Triumph' badges on the front edge of the bonnet which I have only ever seen on the very late model Triumphs. (My 1977 TC had the old silver on black Triumph badges.)

Muldoon just about had the country locked down into a command-and-control economy. it's had to imagine anyone so enamoured with power, ever opting for the smaller-engined version of a car!

200sx, Aug 23, 2:50am
Interesting subject!

Muldoon's 2500 was definitely an S, not a TC.

reb53, Aug 24, 6:04am
I, also, remember how slow, and painful that was.
As there were no mobile radars in those days I don't recall taking any notice of that particular law.
I subscribed to the view that rules were "for the guidance of the wise, and the obedience of fools. "

tintop, Aug 24, 6:14am
Auckland City Council had at least one built into the back of a Morrie Minor van. Made by the (then) DSIR I think. Big white transmitter/receiver aerial unit about 400mm in diameter.

westwyn, Sep 6, 1:36am
As above- I sold this car back in 1989 or 1990, it was a French Blue 2500S automatic with (as I recall) run bearings. I may even have a photo somewhere of it sitting on the auction floor at DVA.