Do people just not know what Fuel to use?

vtecnet, Nov 30, 7:57am
I was at BP earlier filling my modded Golf GTI with 98 Octane fuel, as its running 20 PSI boost with a bigger turbo and needs it.

A 2011 ish WRX STI came up behind my car and the driver got out and filled it up with 91 Octane fuel. which really shouldn't go anywhere near a turbocharged car, (Said car makes over 150hp per litre) but I see this sort of thing happen often, from experience those type of cars don't run properly with 91 fuel and you can hear them detonating/misfiring etc under acceleration and just don't run smooth at all, but I hardly ever see anyone using the good fuel.

franc123, Nov 30, 8:03am
That's because the types that drive them often have about $4.40 a week to live on after their living expenses including the payments on the car and the insurance, the weekly payments of the latter two are often a similar amount each. It doesn't stretch to the additional cost of a tank of premium unleaded, as it was there would have been a small amount of 91 put in. A closer inspection would probably reveal four very worn Lingling or similar tyres on the rims. Going without food for a day is also preferable to being seen in a Nana car for many of them.

vtecnet, Nov 30, 8:11am
Mmm your probably right, my cars not worth much, but I like to buy things with cash rather than finance, but I have good Pirelli tyres (all matching) and keep the car in top condition despite it being worth maybe $3-4k.
The WRX mentioned is still around $30k ish to buy now.

franc123, Nov 30, 8:15am
That's good, you are clearly an enthusiast, are aware of its needs and are prepared to spend the money in the right areas to enhance its operation. Big difference. The above might seem like stereotyping but its too often the case.

tamarillo, Nov 30, 7:23pm
If they worked out gas consumption they would likely find they're Burning more gas on lower octane and it would cost no more per 100k to use 95.

slarty45, Nov 30, 7:56pm
The real reason the WRX STI was filled it up with 91 Octane fuel is because you can hear it detonating/misfiring etc under acceleration.

If cap worn backwards, this is a cool sound, peeps on footpath may turn head and look .

richardmayes, Nov 30, 8:30pm
Don't forget Subaru's branding image is "sporty" and "outdoorsy".

So a lot of new Subarus do a spell of being owned by people who just want to drive up to Ruapehu to go skiing or people who want to take their kids to rugby practice, before they get bought by people who are interested in cars!

timmo1, Aug 16, 10:15am
Call it profiling, but when buying a car I always judge people, precisely to try and figure out if they are someone like you describe (i.e. ignorant/cheap etc).