Trailer safety chain

Page 1 / 2
seadubya, Jun 24, 10:46pm
I failed mine too when the rule changed, I changed from welded on chain to bolted on chain with rated D-shackle at the vehicle end.

m16d, Jun 24, 11:10pm
So. I thought the new rules were only for new trailers.
Our 1977 caravan has always passed a VTNZ wof with a welded chain and a cheap looking shackle.

pisces47, Jun 25, 12:12am
Then your WOF checker is not doing their job and if the weld broke you would be liable for damage and charged for having an illegal trailer chain

sr2, Jun 25, 12:24am
I have to say that having the testing station man lecturing me on why I have to use a cheap mild steel shackle instead of a $250 padlock (with a much higher breaking strain) is one of those situations where you just have to bite your tongue!

saxman99, Jun 25, 12:55am

therafter1, Jun 25, 12:59am

sas777, Jun 25, 2:15am
I agree about the padlock being strong, but can understand why the guy wouldn't pass it as it wasn't approved.
Your other point, he was going to pass a cheap shackle doesn't sound right though. I had one on my trailer, just a galv thing, and had to shoot off to TWL to get a rated one (numbers forged into it) to get a pass.

sharchew, Jun 25, 2:24am
They are pissing with you . I had mine welded then they changed it to bolt then they changed back to welded I got a warrent two weeks ago no problem

sr2, Jun 25, 3:41am
8-1 Reasons for rejection.

5. A safety chain or cable (including any welded joint, securing bolt or shackle):

a) is not securely attached to the drawbar, or

b) is welded to the drawbar, and

i. there is no clear evidence of weld penetration, or

ii. the weld metal has not been applied in accordance with good trade practice, or

iii. there is no evidence that the chain can be welded without reducing its strength, or

iv. the weld is significantly corroded, has deteriorated or is cracked.

(Looks like a welded chain is OK after all?).

dave653, Jun 26, 3:25am
Does anyone check the bolts holding the towbar to the vehicle?

therafter1, Jun 26, 3:28am

therafter1, Jun 26, 3:29am
Have you figured your MySky out yet lol

therafter1, Jun 26, 3:30am
It is if you have X-ray eyes and can see thru years of layers of house paint lol

lugee, Jun 26, 3:31am
Welds are OK again, as per #10. It was changed to bolt only, and then back to welds OK.

sr2, Jun 26, 4:08am
Yes my 11 year old geek nephew solved it in 30 seconds!

bwg11, Jun 26, 8:26am
Looks to me as there is a reason for rejection of a welded chain (5 (b) iii), if evidence is not provided, "that the chain has been welded without reducing its strength".

I'm no metallurgist, but surely heating high tensile chain to welding temperature will weaken it? This, if I am correct, would effectively prohibit attaching high tensile by welding?

gamefisher, Jun 26, 8:41am
Yes that's why a garage doing a WOF properly should reject unless the chain is substantial and aussie trailers have welded chain but the chain is fairly substantial eg 12mm diameter of the chain link steel for a 1500kg trailer. Despite that my local garage still made me put a bolt through to hold that welded chain link.

bjmh, Jun 26, 7:40pm
yep and regularly find loose ones,especially on farm utes

movnon, Jun 27, 6:34am
its pretty obvious most chains which are galvanised anyway will be weaker if welded, so why piss around - use a HT 8mm bolt washers & nut with 8 mm chain & rated shackle (actually rarely seen on trailers) then there is simply no argument.

gmphil, Jun 27, 8:10am
I just do both as I use chain to secure at nite first link bolt second link weld . cant undo a weld in the middle of the night lol

martin11, Jun 27, 10:56pm
What padlocks are load tested please ? I do not know of any with a tested breaking strain rating for a trailer safety chain .

gabbysnana, Jun 27, 11:05pm
Fully loaded horse float popped the towball this morning thank god for the chain.

mottly, Jun 27, 11:09pm
the chain also has to be heavy enough not break if the trailer pops off the ball. Some workshops just comment that they should be bolted, others its an outright fail. Some rules are stupid

cone1, Jun 28, 8:22am
Chains can be welded on providing they meet certain criteria

xs1100, Jun 28, 8:45am
BNT have rated chain and shackle and washer for it to be bolted rather than welded cheap as chips if you have a contact