Smoking under vacuum

robotnik, Jan 22, 9:34am
I took my smokey Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 down a really long hill. One which was so long that it enabled me to drive at 90km/m for several minutes with my foot off the gas. When I finally applied gas at the bottom of the hill a big plume of white smoke came out the exhaust. That's a sure sign the turbo seals are failing, right?

sr2, Jan 22, 9:50am
I'd be pointing the finger at valve guides and valve seals first.

intrade, Jan 22, 9:56am
well exhaust valve if it is the valves as intake ones be blue smoke from oil burned white is evaporated oil in muffler

sr2, Jan 22, 10:12am
Fair point; I'd like to see if it smokes under sustained load (i.e. up a long up hill) or on a trailing throttle (i.e.down a long up hill off the throttle) or after idling for a while.
All easy stuff for a better diagnosis.

fordcrzy, Jan 22, 10:15am
a smokey mitsi. theres something new! not! haha yes 90% its the valve guide seals. god only knows why mitsi continued to use sub par materials for thier seals even after YEARS of smoking cars.

ema1, Jan 22, 10:57am
Could be brake fluid being drawn into the inlet manifold then the combustion chambers due to a faulty leaking brake master cylinder/booster unit, via the vac hose from booster to inlet manifold? White smoke might suggest that .

phillip.weston, Jul 27, 5:58pm
is the smoke white or distinctly blue?

I would pull the turbo inlet and outlet hose and inspect for oil residue as well as pull one of the down pipes and check for oil residue there too.