Got a cheap Air Compressor_Read This

air.rowcj, Mar 7, 12:06am
These are sold by Bunnings_Super Cheap etc. At the receiver end of the inlet pipe there is a multi port check valve.The center of the retaining plug blew out at about 60 psi and disappeared out the workshop wall about 20 meter's away.
After removing the outer thread I put the grinder to work to look for other fractures.
I found the fitting was copper coloured aluminum that was poorly cast. This part should not be used on a steel cylinder.
This could have killed.
Ckeck yours out
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/368373977.jpg

jmma, Mar 7, 12:10am
Maybe worth reporting to someone?
I note you are member No 33 wow, must have joined not long after Sam (o:

air.rowcj, Mar 7, 12:37am
Was on a 6 year old AEG. Would like you all to give your fitting a scratch to see if it is ali.

Who do you report to ?

allan_mac, Mar 7, 1:40am
Try Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment at the first call, also where you bought the compressor from.

elect70, Mar 7, 1:55am
As a pressure vessel dont they have to be certified for sale? I remember our refrigeration reciever tanks had to be done , & no penetrations were allowed on the ends . Just shows how NZ safety standard have slipped that these can be sold in this way . Bloody deadly I hope you informed the seller .

paulybboy, Mar 7, 6:26am
most compressors are lucky to last more then a few years,6 years is a good run,

tamarillo, Mar 7, 9:25am
Piqued my interest, where did you find member number? I can find month year joined and my own number but not others?

jmma, Mar 7, 9:28am
You're member 3172, been around for awhile as well.
Hover your pointer over their username and look bottom left of your screen (o:

Or click on to their profile and look in the address bar at top of screen.

glang, Mar 7, 9:32pm
Or right click on username and click properties, that will also tell you.

jason_247, Mar 8, 8:28pm
I highly doubt this could have killed.
its running about 120psi, not really gun pressure.

If it lasted 6 years then maybe its sustained some damage in the mean time from a hit somewhere?

reality is these compressors are built to a safety standard, but they are also built to the market which demands the lowest possible price.

If you pay more you will get more out of it.

Also when you look at galvanic corrosion brass reacts badly with aluminum and mild steel when a static charge from moving air or moisture is present.
So if brass fittings were used the connections would probably corrode within 6 years anyway and give a similar result.

high grade Stainless steel isnt affected by brass so proper compressors use stainless cylinder heads and brass piping/fittings but that ramps the price up considerably.

elect70, Mar 10, 6:30am
^^Stand in front of the end of the tank when the plug blows out at 120PSI & see if it doent put a hole in ya , thats what he is talking about & those cheap compressors can reach that . Thats why pressure vessels should have all fittings on the top not on the belled ends , The "certification 'if any ,is done in China where they are probably made & Its up to the supplier to provide copy of the NZ saftey compliance if asked , this applies to all electrical appliances

easygoer, Mar 10, 7:28am
As stated above they are built to a price, as long as the consumer demands a cheap product the suppliers will met their demands, this is often achieved with cheaper mass produced parts which are generally very unreliable, I deal with these machines on a regular basis being a warranty repair agent for Blackridge compressors sold by Supercheap, I would never buy one, I prefer quality as it will last and usually perform better as well, the plug blowing out of the 3 way valve is common because they are made from cast alloy and sells for around $5.00, the quality machines have a valve machined from brass and sells for around $40.00, as a side note, the motor windings on a quality compressor are copper whereas the cheap machines have aluminium windings which are coated to look like copper and they fail more often with broken windings and burnt connections

jason_247, Mar 10, 8:28am
im more concerned with $8 sets of brake pads being available to the general public being the only thing to stop 2000kg of metal from plowing into a pedestrian crossing.

also certified in china.

elect70, May 5, 11:08pm
^^ made of compressed grass / , were are NZ Standards in allowing this crap in . This is what deregulation did ,puts onus on the importer who can just fold his tent when the brown stuff hits the fan .