Late model Mustang aftermarket gas hood struts

lookoutas, Aug 25, 8:15am
Does anyone on here have a 2005/14 Mustang with hinge mounted hood struts? That's a bonnet here!
I need to know what pressure the struts are running. There should be some numbers on them that will indicate this.
Google only gets me into outfits that want to sell, not help.

They cost, cost, + more cost to get them out of the States, so what does a Kiwi do when they have a Ute canopy out the back that a tree has been dropped on?
Pirate the struts and modify the brackets, all for free.
Only trouble is, the struts aren't strong enough, so I need to have them regassed to the appropriate pressure.
Can't risk putting too much in tho, as these hoods are aluminium.

gunhand, Aug 25, 8:50am
You should be able to take them off and send them to someone like stabalis (prob spelt wrong) who will regass them to correct pressure, and re seal them.
As a rule gas struts are not that expensive.
Repco send shit loads to them all the time to be done. Without issue.

jmma, Aug 25, 9:10am
Probably get a stick of the tree and use that (o:

lookoutas, Aug 25, 9:43am
Yeah - I've got a handle on all that gun. I just need to know the pressure without going through a trial'n'error process, inviting cock-ups.

gunhand, Aug 25, 9:48am
Shouldnt be any cock ups. If there is a pressure setting or numbers on the strut they will do it correctly. They (not repco) are gas strut experts, its what they do. Always had good rapport with them and very easy to deal with.
Are there no numbers on yours?

lookoutas, Aug 25, 10:05am
No no gun - these are pirated struts. The numbers on them apply to the job they were used for, which is the pressure they have in them at the moment.
Now I need them to do a heavier job, so I want to have them pumped up. The numbers on them don't mean anything any more. Hence, I need to know what pressure they should be pumped to.
It's not an issue increasing the pressure, they can handle it.
I've salvaged 4 good struts from the canopy. The ones for the side windows are weakaz, coz those windows aren't very heavy, but I'm using the ones off the heavier tail gate window, which obviously need to be much stronger - but not quite strong enough for what I want.

gunhand, Aug 25, 10:12am
Oh, ok. I was a bit off track lol. If im reading this right you want to put (other than factory) struts on a mustang bonnet which is alloy, but the ones you have are not strong enough or maybe to strong so you dont want to risk a problem.

elect70, Aug 26, 1:45am
Ive seen struts being regassed , no pressure reduction , just put in a steel cylinder with screw caps does a whole lot , all sizes, at once & full nitrogen pressure from the bottle . isnt it the angle they operate on that gives different force required ?. So regas should be Ok .

lookoutas, Aug 26, 6:13am
No - they are all different pressures for specific jobs. If you put 10 different sized struts in a regassing cylinder, they will all come out with the same pressure - which is governed by the amount of pressure that is dumped into the cylinder.
I need my two put into a cylinder and taken to a specified pressure. There is a formula where a percentage more pressure is dumped into the cylinder, than is required in the strut, and they can adjust this to suit.

I just need someone to tell me what that pressure is. They should have numbers on them that indicate this.

lookoutas, Aug 26, 8:47am
Have just spoken to the guy who invented the re-gassing system. He said the side windows would be about 6,000 KPA, and the tail gate could be about 10,000 KPA.
He also said they can safely go to 21,000. Also that not all have the pressures on them, even though mine have some numbers that might mean something.

Got a contact that he said should be able to help.

lookoutas, Sep 2, 6:49am
Found some struts at SuperCheap. 300mm long and had 500 N/sq M pressure. Would have preferred 320mm long, but I can easily make modifications to mounting brackets to suit.
Attempted to convert that to KPa, but that didn't compute, so I don't care - tried them out on the spot, and they work. That's all that matters.

$23.99 each. Couldn't re-gas them for that!

elect70, Aug 7, 10:05am
Well done .I bought struts for my BMW there too . half the price a wrecker wanted for used pair &no garuantee. just took in my old 1 & got pair almost the same just shifted the mounting on the hood a liitle