STEREO ON --------- GAS MILAGE DOWN ?

toysky, Jun 9, 4:21pm
A GUY TONIGHT TRYED TO TELL ME THAT NOT HAVING HIS STEREO ON SAVES HIM 5MPG !
IS THIS A LOAD OF BULL!

pollymay, Jun 9, 5:22pm
Sounds like a tool, next thread please

dr.doolittle, Jun 9, 6:53pm
COULD BE TRUE.
If he has it on & is playing a song he really likes it might make him feel like he's "King of the road" & a bit of a sex bomb so he accelerates a bit quicker off the mark at the lights, or just generally drives a bit more aggressively.
Without it on he can concentrate more on his driving & is maybe a bit more consistent.

nickolaz, Jun 9, 7:31pm
lawl

fiatracer, Jun 9, 8:04pm
anything that draws more power via alternator will take power from the engine, harmng economy. I calculate his savings to be closer to 0.021 mpg

hutchk, Jun 9, 8:11pm
I think you'll find it's 0.023 mpg.

richardmayes, Jun 9, 8:15pm
Yes the two or three hundred watts of pure power being drawn to run his sound system would easily increase the fuel consumption of his 100kw (guesstimate) car by a good 20%. Smart man to identify this significant waste of energy and eliminate it.

If he installed 5 stereos in his car, and turned them all off, he would probably find that his fuel gauge actually goes up as he drives.

r15, Jun 9, 8:41pm
With a name like hotrod pete I imagine there are ways you could save a lot more lol

nickolaz, Jun 9, 8:49pm
You'd have a car that no-one would buy

im_andrew, Jun 9, 8:55pm
No, you would have a car that every idiot would want.

Why else would an '80 1300cc mitsi mirage be worth $800, yet I struggel to get $800 for my VS commodore!

thejazzpianoma, Jun 9, 9:48pm
Actually quite a lot!
Various ecomodders have tried it. It helps you twofold:
1. Significantly less weight.
2. Less draw on the engine.

However, you can achieve most of that gain without the sacrifice. There are devices you can build cheaply that limit when the A/C compressor is engaged to times that are the most economical to run it (enterprisingly you don't notice much performance difference from the A/C).

The other one that can work quite well for a commuter car is to fit a solar panel to the roof and disconnect the Alternator. This makes quite a difference on a fuel injected car. Only catch is you tend to look a bit of a dork with a decent sized solar panel on the roof.

Much of the advantage that comes from modern fuel efficient engines just gets eaten up in extra weight and to a lesser extent current draw.

eddiedean, Jun 10, 1:04am
Lmao thats classic

moosie_21, Jun 10, 1:06am
The only thing I need in my car is my stereo. If they built a car (well they do, I just don't have $200K for a Porsche GT3 RS) like that I'd buy it, simply because I don't need all that extra garbage. That's why I'd never buy a modern car!

toysky, Jun 10, 1:20am
I,ll tell him what you think when I next gas up

sifty, Jun 10, 1:34am
Quite right, you can also save fuel by not turning your lights on. This must be why I witness so many gun-metal grey cars at dusk in a stream of traffic with no visible lighting. it appears they are actually saving fuel, not just inconsiderate jerks trying to give the impression of a break in traffic that you can fit into.

321mat, Jun 10, 1:41am
Wash your car and give it a good wax. BY HAND.

This will increase the aerodynamic efficiency of the car, and will actually save you a bit. about $5 over the distance of about 600km, I've noticed (over many trips)

elect70, Jun 10, 2:18am
Well if he has a gazillon watts& has 2 big truck alternators to keep the 3 batteries upthen yes it will savebit fuel if its offother wisethe saving isnegligible

toysky, May 26, 1:41pm
Its a alfa spyder he has