What's the most under rated car in your opinion?

Page 2 / 2
vtecintegra, Dec 16, 12:00am
So you can get a brand new Lancer for under $16k now?

socram, Dec 16, 1:41am
Depends whether you are talking about today or yesteryear - and in what price range. Jaguar XJ6 was a bargain for the price.

Most fun for a supposedly rubbish car - MG Montego Turbo.

woodypc, Dec 16, 3:31am
Toyota Avalon

tamarillo, Dec 16, 4:22am
Please tell me your teasing.
Even a chinaman impersonating ABBA is better.

poppy62, Dec 16, 5:38am
Yes the Xantia is v/good had it on my list behind the XM T/diesel and the excellent BX series cars, which co-incidently were voted the best all round car during their 10 year run (83-93). Owned about 6 BXs and they were seriously good.

poppy62, Dec 16, 6:03am
I actually thought they were designed by Renault and built on a Megane platform. I am happy to be corrected.

poppy62, Dec 16, 6:08am
Hey Tam! tell me you're not surprised by "chicks" choice. It'd have to be a beige or grey Toy/Cam 1.8L.

tgray, Dec 16, 6:10am
I am currently driving a 2008 Camry and can't fault it.
He may be on to something.

poppy62, Dec 16, 6:24am
How can you tell? if 90% of the population has one how are they underrated?

sr2, Dec 16, 7:15am
2012 Porsche Boxster! (The one with the big motor & all the performance goodies).
Just did a quick 400 km trip up north and back to check on a mates batch. Didn't realise how quick and competent these cars have become, to be honest I think on a track with the right tyres it would be a good match for our old GT3 race car. The rumour is that Porsche are detuning them to not tread on the toes of 911 owners, they might have a point!

poppy62, Dec 16, 8:16am
As was the 928S4 /GTs, infinitely a superior car to the 911.

tgray, Dec 16, 8:21am
Only half joking?

mm12345, Dec 16, 10:01am
P76 (aka P38 - "only half was it was cracked up to be"). In V8 form, it was simply a much better car than any of the Aussie 4 door sedan alternatives.
Alfasud Ti - Low centre of gravity boxer engine mounted rear of the front wheels (so mid-engined FWD), no torque steer with equal length driveshafts, low unsprung weight with inboard discs, they were an infinitely nicer drive than any other FWD car at the time (think KA Laser sport, Mk1 Golf GTi etc). Shame about the rapid terminal rust and generally awful assembly quality.
Austin Maxi 1750. OK - fairly awfully assembled and butt-ugly, but the 1750 went kind of okay, was cheap, roomy, smooth quiet ride, 5-speed and a hatchback. A decade ahead of it's time.
Mazda GTX 4WD (or same in Ford Laser trim). The 1.6 motors could make 150KW with minor tweaks (exhaust, injectors, ecu, boost). These were coming in to NZ as used imports in 1989.
Nissan GTR. Was looking at one the other day in a workshop, import jappa 2008 model tweaked to 770hp on the dyno, but had a baby seat in the rear and the mechanic working on it was telling me that with a remap of the DSG, it drove around town like any other car.
Prius. Every nasty comment I read is negated by the fact that every taxi owner-driver I've spoken to cannot say a bad thing about them - and when TCO impacts on their bottom line, I doubt they're telling porkies.

nzjay, Dec 16, 10:14am
I kind of agree about the Maxi. roomy ahead of it's time.
If you haven't been in a late GTR, you are missing an experience. A true supercar that is cheap for what it is. The scary thing is, the next generation of boy racers will find they are affordable.

skiff1, Dec 19, 5:14am
SJ series Suzuki jeeps. Brutally simple, too low on power to break anything and just so good at what they were meant to do. Embarrassed the shit out of tonnes of much bigger, more expensive 4x4s.
Mahindra tahr for all the same reasons.

skiff1, Dec 19, 5:20am
they do a job, in a very narrow set of circumstances. I wouldn't take the fact taxi drivers love them as any recommendation. If they were financial geniuses, they wouldn't be driving a taxi.

survivalkiwi, Dec 19, 7:20am
Agree 100%

andy61, Dec 19, 8:09am
nzjay wrote:
I kind of agree about the Maxi. roomy ahead of it's time.
Did you ever drive a Maxi?, God awful gear shift, bus like steering wheel ,oil leaks and british electrics made it a shocker of a car.Thank god the japanese cars came along.

rob_rooster, Dec 19, 8:10am
True, even some thirty year olds tried to kill themselves in one today!
Wait till they get cheap enough for the twenty something, still living at home with mum and dad tick up crowd!

trogedon, May 27, 2:27am
Nash Metropolitan. Cute, in a cutsy way (who doesn't love a two tone mini Lincoln right?!). Chicks love them. Reliable (for their time) and wind in the hair stuff in convertible form.