WOF question RE: tyres

catwoman1974, Aug 29, 3:57pm
Failed WOF because of 3 tyres being 235 and one tyre being 245. All tyres are same brand and tread. I wouldn't have thought 10mm in tyre width on one tyre out of four would be a failed WOF.

kingfisher21, Aug 29, 6:00pm
Well you are wrong, that is a fail, the tyre is also a different diameter.

morrisman1, Aug 29, 6:25pm
definitely worth a fail, if the diameter is also bigger then let say jacking the car up 10mm could put an extra 50kg on that wheel and completely upset the handling of the car.

tamarillo, Aug 29, 8:04pm
Check your spare to see if right size for wof.
I think you're allowed different size front to back so if spare is a good 245 put on same axle as other one.
At least the wof station are thorough. Any recourse on tyre seller or was it self inflicted? I'm guessing self inflicted.

kazbanz, Aug 29, 9:17pm
Catwoman-short version. The WOF guy is correct.
-in an emergency to get you home I would agree with you the difference isn't HUGE
But for regular use the issue is that not only is one tyre wider but if its the same profile Ie 245/60/15 then it will also be taller.
So you need to fit another 235 or if the car is 2wd then another 245 on the same axle

franc123, Aug 29, 9:28pm
Showing up with mixed tyres on your car for a wof check is one of the worst things you can do, whether they are of identical size or not, it always tends to trip the Muppet alert with the inspector and causes suspicion about what other things might have not been done right or cheapskated on. I've seen some amusing results of amateur DIY over the years, well amusing if they weren't downright dangerous.

kazbanz, Aug 29, 10:23pm
worthy of a thread that is ^^^^^^

twink19, Aug 30, 7:06am
fail

mrfxit, Aug 30, 7:38am
Just to expand the info a bit more (for the o/p) about different size tyres on the same vehicle (of course)

Tyres MUST be.
Paired for size per axle
Similar or same thread pattern
Same type
Similarly rated

you can have 2 different PAIRS on 2 different axles (rated as above) unless the vehicle is an AWD (All Wheel Drive / permanent 4 Wheel Drive)

Theres some finer details in the Wof spec sheets

ml6989, Aug 30, 9:28am
Now let us confuse the mixing issue and introduce snow tyres to the discussion.

tamarillo, Aug 30, 8:35pm
Cat woman. Who put the wrong tyre there? If sold to you and put on I'd be driving there!

Just thinking that there is no reason at all for a non motoring enthusiast to know a damn thing about tyres.

franc123, Aug 30, 10:10pm
A licenced driver should at minimum know to inspect tyres for damage, inflation pressure and minimum tread depth, it is a road code requirement. Ignorance of the extreme basics isn't an excuse.

mrfxit, Aug 30, 10:24pm
LMFAO yea Tui for sure.
Lost count long ago of the numbers of cars I have seen with almost flat & bald tyres on cars.

Long ago, I used to alert the drivers & most of the time they ignored me or said it's not their car but the owner can deal with it later (or at wof time)

mrfxit, Aug 30, 10:29pm
Thankfully not as much an issue as bald of almost flat tyres.

Will admit that the other week I didn't notice the almost flat low profile tyre as I walked past the wifes car, but was vaguely aware of "something not right" as I drove down the road.
Thats what it felt like aye, NOT as a flat tyre, but as "something not right" (& thats only a 50 profile).

The majority of 'drivers' wouldn't know anything until the tyre was ruined

quickbuck, Aug 30, 10:34pm
All the more reason to at least check them weekly with a gauge. Your own gauge too, not a servo one (although they may be getting better now they are not attached to the hose and chucked on the ground).

scuba, Aug 30, 11:18pm
did you get picked on at school

franc123, Aug 30, 11:33pm
Nope, stating well known facts that's all.

2sheddies, Aug 30, 11:56pm
As well as knowing how to perform all the usual basic maintenance checks, such as dipping the oil, checking water, brake, clutch, trans fluid level, and knowing how to pump petrol. Amazing how many steerers getting about in cars who don't understand the very basics of operating the thing and who stand there on the forecourt looking completely lost because they don't know how to gas up their wagon. A basic maintenance course should perhaps be built into the licence test.

franc123, Aug 31, 12:08am
Well you hope that there would be a will to self educate even a little bit in this area now that forecourt service effectively doesn't exist any more and petrol station staff are there to remove your money from you and not care about problems with cars that might cause you to not make it to where you are going. Doesn't happen despite more info than ever being out there.

bill-robinson, Aug 31, 12:27am
both of you missed the obvious. change a wheel when punctured. should be part of the driving test i think

2sheddies, Aug 31, 1:18am
Lol. yeah good spotting bill. that too!

2sheddies, Aug 31, 1:35am
Absolutely right. I really miss seeing the old time garages with a few pumps out front and a fully stocked shop with car parts, oils, filters, gaskets, exhaust tube, belts, plugs, etc etc and a lube bay, tyre shop out back and a mechanic running it, instead of a supermarket/coffee lounge. Luckily there are still a few in small towns that remind you of how it once was.

mainlander05, Aug 16, 2:38am
Come and spend a week in the tyre shop and you will freak out at what some people drive on.
Just absolute idiots.
We do all we can to make a car safe but to some a box of beer is more important.