Suzuki Swift 2004 150k - too high mileage or

angelzw, Aug 31, 10:39am
One owner regular servicing. Is 150k mileage too high and the engine near its end of life? hubby says too much mileage. Any info greatly appreciated.

intrade, Aug 31, 10:42am
if it has old style engine and little electronic junk it should be fine . my 95 toyota has 320,000km and only number 3 piston has 96% the rest is 98% compression slight oil consumptions on valves and i drive it up mount ruapehu with 1.3 liter automatic I predict it will do another 100 tousend befor something will show serious wear

angelzw, Aug 31, 10:43am
1300 engine. 2004 model. Auto.

phillip.weston, Aug 31, 10:52am
it will be fine for at least another 100,000kms. It's 11 years old and has done exactly the average of 14,000kms most typical Kiwis do per year - nothing to worry about.

franc123, Aug 31, 10:55am
I wouldn't have thought so, if its been serviced PROPERLY and done mostly hot highway running chances are there won't be any serious issues. As always the inspection of coolant and transmission fluids as part of your independent prepurchase check will be a good indicator of whats really been happening there. If you can get it for a good price it could be worth going for, these vehicles despite being very good cars are getting to an awkward age now and despite their popularity I wouldn't be going overboard with how much to hand over, theres going to be some steep depreciation ahead over the next four or five years. The 1300 isn't the most sought after version either, most buyers prefer the 15.

westwyn, Aug 31, 11:06am
It al depends on the individual car, and the price you're paying. Generally the Swift holds up reasonably well with higher mileage- they're not that expensive to maintain IF well looked after. BUT- which model is it? 2004 is a cross-over year for the Swift, if you mean the "old" model then I'd be less inclined to give it the thumbs up. New model- the one everyone see around these days- yes.

angelzw, Aug 31, 8:43pm
Newer model 2004. Asking price $5000! DOea that sound fair or steep for mileage? VGC. Looks well looked after aesthetically.Used to work and back mostly.

westwyn, Aug 31, 9:39pm
Sounds fair enough TBH. Devil is in the details- for goodness sake, get a pre purchase mechanical inspection done BEFORE you commit to buying it. But a $5K new shape Swift isn't bad value at those km.

kazbanz, Aug 31, 9:50pm
150k is in "old terms" not even 100000 miles. So as a generic answer the miles travelled wouldn't scare me/shouldn't scare you.
BUT-You need to do ALL appropriate due diligence.
Get a full pre purchase inspection carried out. preferably by YOUR mechanic or a franchise mechanic.
You want to know about first the stuff that would stop you buying the car at all . Second you want to know what normal routine maintainence is coming up in the reasonably foreseeable future.
Say its a 5k car.But needs the BIG service then you need to budget that $1000 sometime in the future. Tyres are legal -1.5mm so you need to budget $400 before the next WOF etc.
Shouldn't put you off buying but its important o know whats coming up

angelzw, Sep 1, 2:28am
Thanks all for advise. Does WOF cover most defects? Just got new wof. Might just organise a prepurchase inspection.

quickbuck, Sep 1, 2:46am
Depends on who and how well you know your WOF inspector.
Mine would let me know anything and everything coming up, but he is the exception as he is a good guy. It isn't actually part of the WOF inspection unless they are advising you on SAFETY items that may well effect you in the near future if left. Can't quite think of an example right at this minute, but there are some. Maybe like "Front Pads look low". Even thought the performance is good, it might be a case if you are a heavy braker they will wear out in the next 12 months. But if you are not so heavy on them they could last years. (as an example, I bet there will be a debate).

Yes, get somebody to look over it before you buy if you are unsure of anything.

berg, Sep 1, 3:39am
Traded ours at almost 170,000km (Swift Sport) and it was still going as good as the day it was new. Only traded it to get a new Kizashi

kazbanz, Aug 14, 1:08am
APSOLUTELY DEFINITELY NOT.
The best was to describe it is that a WOF check will in theory ensure the car won't fall apart. it won't give an indication of if the engine or gearbox will/wont blow up.
That's it in a really crude form.
A GOOD pre purchase inspection will check that the vehicle is mechanically sound in every way.
keeping In mind Im talking apsolutes just to make the point.