4wd or rwd
manual or tiptronic
under $15k
preferably no bigger engine than 3.5L
used for equal parts open road/around town driving
doesn't need to tow anything
not fussed whether it is jap/euro/american etc

intrade, Oct 14, 10:52pm
what milage are you intending to do in a week month ?

-bonnieparker-, Oct 14, 11:00pm
between 1000-2500kms a month

-bonnieparker-, Oct 14, 11:02pm
this would be my first choice at this stage, although my dad (mechanic) has vowed he won't do any work on it if I buy an Audi.

motorboy2011, Oct 14, 11:14pm
350rx four m35 Stagea. Tiptronic, 4wd, 3.5l, 206kw. $8k-$14k.

vtecintegra, Oct 14, 11:16pm
M35 Stagea - go for the 3.5, comes in AWD and RWD

Downside is it's quite a big car around town

intrade, Oct 14, 11:19pm
i dont want to be rude but i hope your dad has taken advanced engine managmant electronics classes otherwise your better sticking to older toyotas. some of the toyota are old technology till mid 2000.
i was going to post a thread about this problem of mechanics not up to speed as there is a good true article , but then i disided the other day not to post it maybe i should . but then there be morons again posting comments like bull$hit and stuff when infact its 100% correct and when you read the article anyone with a brain will see it .

bigfatmat1, Oct 14, 11:30pm
Subaru Legacy. Subaru outback. Lots of different engines to choose from depending on power wanted. The 2007 gtb legacy is a nice car to drive. 4wd 265hp and quite economical considering it's a turbo boxer. You can pick one up for under 15k

mopsy3, Oct 15, 12:09am
Your Dad is a good man.

daryl14, Oct 15, 12:31am
And nor should you let him. There is a very good independant mechanic in Frankton for euros.

tamarillo, Oct 15, 1:11am
Subaru 4 cylinder of that era only had a 4 speed auto box so you need the six.
BMW 320 is hugely popular in Europe for good reason. 5 series is often same money.
VW Passat can be had in 4wd.
Volvo XC70 if you like really big boot, not very good on gas though.
Merc c class with wide range of engines.
Commodore just fits criteria and shouldn't be dismissed for simplicity.

vtecintegra, Oct 15, 4:35am
Forth and firth gen turbo Legacy is a 5 speed - should be easily in budget

bigfatmat1, Oct 15, 5:43am
as above 5spd nz new gtb as they are full spec.

geedubu, Oct 15, 5:45am
Toyota harrier

berg, Oct 15, 5:50am
Being that I thrash the living bejesus out of a Commodore at work and it seems to be pretty bulletproof, I'd suggest one. Sure, not the most safisticated thing in the world but for a good all rounder it is hard to beat

matt5209, Oct 15, 6:00am
Out of interest why do you need rwd or 4wd if you aren't towing? Fwd going to be a lot better on gas.

-bonnieparker-, Oct 15, 6:06am
Just because I like driving them more, I drive on sharply windy open roads (ie to Whitianga, Coromandel, New Plymouth) a lot, so I want a car I really enjoy driving.

-bonnieparker-, Oct 15, 6:06am
thanks for all the ideas thus far, I'm checking them all out

_peas, Oct 15, 6:12am
3.0R Legacy. 250HP and smooth as. Engines have a very solid reputation and 5sp auto/tiptronic. Mine averages 8.5km/L round town and open road is approx 13km/L. Very comfortable, great open road with cruise control too (esp on long weekend when the speed tolerance is reduced!) I haven't found anything yet that I don't like about it. The McIntosh stereo is fantastic if you manage to get one with this option.

bumfacingdown, Feb 8, 9:30am
Big enough that if load space is needed they are better than the Holden/Ford counter models