Honda Inspire 2004

beetle18, Feb 12, 9:17am
We had some useful comments in our previous thread about the VW Passat. After thinking about what was said, we decided to not to go ahead. Now we are considering a Honda Inspire, 65000 km, a 2004. Haven't been able to test drive yet, as it's still on the boat from Japan, but it looks good. What are your thoughts about this one? May not be as polarising and contraversial as the Passat!
Previous thread was a really interesting and generally helpful read - thanks guys.

vtecintegra, Feb 12, 9:27am
2004 is just a V6 Accord with some extra features.

Personally I'd probably go with an NZ Accord instead - they're cheap now, and you don't have to deal with all the Japanese navigation/radio/climate control nonsense.

tamarillo, Feb 12, 7:09pm
Can't imagine why put of a VW Passat. These are thought as bullet proof in Europe. We have some very old fashioned ant euro opinions on this forum.
There are now plenty of euro trained mechanics and easy access to parts.
With the Honda your buying an oprphan. An import in import spec meant only and specifically for Japan. It won't ride or handle anywhere near as nicely as an NZ accord or an import Passat. The euros tend to sell same tune of cars to Japan as elsewhere so they are better cars on our roads.
And yes I have experienced this. I tried an import accord and got a NZ new one and it felt very different. The import suspension bottomed out on a nasty bump the NZ one soaked up.
But sounds like you've done the deal so only comment would be to make dealer get all electronics set to NZ. I saw some with Japanese read outs and would find that intolerable personally. Plus you'll need new sound system to get local radio. Check it has correct summer tyres not the winter tyres that some imports get sold with.
Honda makes bulletproof cars with sound engineering.

tamarillo, Feb 12, 7:11pm
It used to be that service history was important. I find it fascinating that people buy cars straight off the boat fro Japan with no knowledge of what the car has been doing, it's servicing, or its real milage.

beetle18, Feb 13, 1:28am
No, of course we haven't done the deal, tamarillo. That would be a bit daft as we haven't even seen the car.
The reason we didn't go with the Passat was that it was a 2004, and had we been able to afford the 2006 model, we would most likely have gone with that. The advice we got from the board was that the 20006 model, or later, would be a better buy.

richardmayes, Feb 13, 1:52am
Inspire has a "tiptronic" style gear selector with a +/- position on the gate for changing gears manually, whereas the Accord has an old fashioned PRND32 type selector.

Otherwise they are 95% the same thing, as per comments above.

msigg, Feb 13, 4:48am
Yes The Honda is a good machine, nothing wrong with cars from japan, They are a higher spec than the New Zealand new cars, Those Hondas are good for 250-300k. Yes as above you do the deal when you see the car and test drive, anything else is silly. What ever you buy get it serviced with new oils and coolant/anti freeze and you should be good to go . Good luck.

beetle18, Feb 13, 6:20am
Thank you guys, once again useful comments. msigg, I agree about higher specs - it amazes me how cheap those gorgeous leather seats and walnut trim go for. Yes, it certainly will be serviced regularly. As a family we seem to have developed a policy of buying a second hand but good car, driving it for 10 or so years ( with the necessary services) and then selling it for a few hundred dollars and buying another. Seems to work well for us. The car we are replacing now is a1994 cefiro which we've done more than 200,000 km in. Certainly doesn't owe us anything! Our little car is a 1998 Starlet which I just love and is showing no sign of slowing down.

msigg, Jun 20, 12:17pm
Yes beetle that's the way to do it, By a good car use it up or untill something happens then it dosn't matter you generally have a good run, cheapest form of motoring, hopefully the cars you have are reliable then it pays off. Who knows whats around the corner.