Dash rattle, 2003xr6 falcon

fishfind111, Jun 3, 5:46am
really annoying rattle in dash area, any ideas?thought maybe it was common fault that someone knows about? dont want to pay mechanic rates to find it but may have to

intrade, Jun 3, 5:52am
i got a story my mate fixed a car crash repair right so the women comes back complaining about the rattle. he has a look trys and fixes it few days later she is back he gets some space inwaider builder foam and fills the whole under dash with foam. woala rattle gone now dont ever come back again.

gunhand, Jun 3, 6:07am
Yes bloody annoying isn't it. Are you sure it's in the dash? Ive been through the odd rattle find in my time and have found on a few occasions that it is no where near where you think it is. One was in my sun glasses holder in roof and I could sworn it was in left door some where. One was in a center consul when it appeared to be dash related. The ears can play tricks.
But yea, I hate rattles.

2sheddies, Jun 3, 6:20am
You always get a few free rattles from the factory with the Aussie cars :-P Fit and finish isn't quite up to Jap or Euro standards. But as gunhand says, look in more less obvious places. the rattle isn't always where the sound appears to be coming from. Bringing a passenger along as you drive along so they can listen and feel around as you drive down a roughish road helps.

Not forgetting the obvious. something loose in the glovebox?

lookoutas, Jun 3, 6:28am
Yeah - had that too. Thought it was in the dash until I finished up as a back seat passenger one day. It was in the box section under the front of the front seat.

inkapuka, Jun 3, 7:53am
Think it's a sign that the ford is starting to fall apart. Door seals stil there or are they dragging on the ground like most do

croco1, Jun 3, 9:04am
I had a new 2008 Falcon that had an annoying rattle / vibration in the dash at idle, Capital City Ford said it was a common problem and was to do with the exhaust and would fix it at the first service, I also noticed that the brake lines than ran across the firewall in the engine bay seemed to have a strong vibration / chatter in them at idle so pointed that out to them at the first service, whether it was both things I don't know but the rattle / vibration at idle was gone after that.

brapbrap8, Jun 3, 9:38am
A bit of a leaf stuck in a spider web around the top of the bonnet, wipers or wing mirrors. I have had that happen to me before, took a while to find and a piece of leaf the size of my thumb nail was making a noise loud enough I was convinced a piece of exterior trim was flapping in the wind.

unclejake, Jun 3, 10:12am
Good point. I put up with my BA dash rattle for six months. only to find out that it's the rear vision mirror. which I still haven't fixed. Haha.

kazbanz, Jun 3, 9:06pm
BY a country mile the most frustrating rattle I have had in a car was a 2005/2006 1500cc corolla sedan.
I had literally ripped the entire dashboard out and the rattle was still there.
Turned out to be a marble in the front seat support rail.

ceebee2, Jun 3, 11:01pm
LOL. I recall quite often when I was an apprentice at a Mitsi garage, the factory personnel would occasionally place loose nuts n bolts in the chassis rails of the new Mitsi's. Drove customers and Mechanics nuts trying to locate them.
"Dynamic rattles" we used to call em.

lookoutas, Jun 4, 6:18am
So you took it out and put it in an RX Subaru that I bought!

Was quite an easy fix - pulled the seat bolt out and pored some thick paint down the hole, then went for a drive around a few corners. Fixed.

xs1100, Jun 4, 8:37am
they were just the factory spares.

lookoutas, Jun 4, 9:03am
Older Courier's and Mazda Bounty's will have the sills fill with water if the drain holes are blocked, and they have been standing in the rain.
The slosh sounds as if the doors have water in them.

Water runs in past the rear air vents in the cab.

richardmayes, Jun 5, 12:50am
Is that why so many of them have big exhausts? So you can't hear the interior rattles?

gettinggrey, Jun 5, 3:33am
unclejake has the same problem as me.
I 'thought' it was a dash rattle, but it was the interior rear view mirror.
They (Ford) attach a wee mounting bracket directly to the glass of the windscreen (must be good sticky stuff). Then the mirror slips onto that bracket and is then tightened on with an allen key.
Took weeks to find the rattle. Kept on checking the dash for the sound and then one day just happened to clean the car interior. Bumped the mirror as I cleaned the windscreen and there was that damn noise again.
So, problem sorted about 2 minutes after that.

2sheddies, Jul 27, 3:17am
Yep. and loud stereos!