Station Wagon

tiles, Dec 3, 5:06am
Ideas please ,Am after a wagon to replace my 98 Caldina .Still like the look of the Caldinas so maybe a later model?Like the Subaru outbacks so maybe a 2005 but do I go for a 2.5 ltr or 3 ltr ?
Thanks

kazbanz, Dec 3, 5:08am
Honda accord 2.4 wagon.

tiles, Dec 3, 5:12am
Thanks will look at these,I will need a suitable wagon with a tow bar as I do tow a trailer to the dump often

gram, Dec 3, 5:35am
Good luck fitting a towbar to an Accord wagon.

fordcrzy, Dec 3, 5:35am
TBH a 98 caldina is probably just as reliable if not more reliable than anything post 2000. its so hard to find a decent station wagon under 10 years old. they are usually either underpowered, heavy, unrelaible

tamarillo, Dec 3, 5:42am
How much money you spending. The accord euro post 2008 is superb car, I had a NZ new one as company car and loved it. But they're $15,000 plus.
Subaru wagons are well loved here. 4 cylinder adequate but only a 4 speed box at this age, which put me off. The 3 litre 6 is well rated, smooth as, likes petrol, matched to 5 speed box.
Caldina wagons look good and folk like them. The 2 litre engine in the Toyota avensis is said to be worth avoiding as dislikes our feul. Unsure if it's same engine as caldina 2 litre?
Maxima wagons not so well loved and cvt box is odd and suspect.
Are you sold on Japanese?

tiles, Dec 3, 5:45am
to be honest ,mines a gtt .Turbo is shot ,leaking water out of the block { told frost plugs are shot } central locking now wont work and wagon not in the best condition .I just want to unload and buy something else

tiles, Dec 3, 5:48am
Cheers .would like to keep it under $15,000 ,just after ideas .havnt thought about euro

cagivachick1, Dec 3, 6:36am
i have one of these, great car, go good not to bad on gas

tiles, Dec 3, 7:47am
thanks ,looks good will go and have a look at that one

sport_billy, Dec 3, 8:25am
How much are you looking at spending? I may be selling a 2010 Outback (new shape) 3.6 Premium due to a work car on the way soon. I am in Christchurch

bigfatmat1, Dec 3, 8:29am
why? I have fitted 3 this year to accord wagons. Very simple job. http://www.towbar.co.nz/vehicles/quickinfo.asp?id=670

gram, Dec 3, 9:35pm
Thanks mat. Yeah I notice the one above has a towbar too.
When a friend investigated fitting a towbar to his 2010 Accord the quotes got to $2500 with cutting holes in the floor etc. One outfit I checked out online for him didn't even offer one for that model.
.He sold it and bought a Nissan to tow his boat. He was looking in the wrong place obviously.

pshack, Dec 6, 1:03am
With the same requirements I settled on a 2010 VW Golf wagon. Have had it for a year, and love it to bits. It's the base engine, but has plenty of grunt when fully loaded on family holidays. Gets to 100 in less than 10 seconds. 7 speed so very fuel efficient and actually delivers the stated fuel economy, around 8l/100km around Wellington's hilly streets with no open road. 5.9l fully loaded with the family when on the annual summer holiday. Mine has 12 airbags and they all have stability control, making them good safe family vehicles. They also all come with trailer stability control, but you have to fit a towbar which can use the advanced electronics. The quotes I got were around $600, so didn't do it in the end and just hire a van when I need to move loads of stuff.

Even the base model has lots of nice little luxury touches. Very quiet, a clever load floor that you can do stuff with to stop your groceries rolling around in the large boot space, 10 speakers as standard and even a built in bottle opener. All that and the car's just on 4.5 metres, so about the same as the average sedan. Same width as the hatchback. So for an urban family it is not too much of a tank but very practical for hauling buggies and all the other child paraphenalia.

kam04, Dec 6, 2:17am
Good company to deal with. Have been a customer of theirs for just over 20yrs. Have bought a total of 8 vehicles from there. Good friendly service.

gram, Jul 24, 5:14pm
Sounds great. What do you call the base motor. 2L or smaller.?